New project idea: 4 pickups Tele style guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post
    I think Josh @ JHS Pedals has a 4 pickup guitar also. I remember seeing it on his live stream.

Edit: yep. It appears to be a Jazzmaster style guitar

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210227-001239.png Views:	1 Size:	154.5 KB ID:	6060656

Seen in the vid below and explained @ 10:00

Thanks great video! Seems more or less my original idea! Now I am again intrigued by using all 4 pickups Have to clear my mind about that...

But in the end... why not?

Comment

You could just drop a P-Rail in the middle too.

I had a Tele w/ a bucker in the neck and a tapped Hot Rail in the middle also.

Go for it.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        You could just drop a P-Rail in the middle too.
        That's a cool idea. Then wire it up as if it was two distinct pickups. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That's a cool idea. Then wire it up as if it was two distinct pickups. I like it.
          No no no!!!!! Triple rings! with a 5 way switch for selecting on the tele plate:

Bridge

Bridge + single, or P90, or HB series or parallel

P90, Single, HB, or Parallel HB

etc....

It would be like having 5 pickups! And a parallel switch for the bucker...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            No no no!!!!! Triple rings! with a 5 way switch for selecting on the tele plate:
            Yup. Endless options.

But it's still a good idea.

Comment

If it was me, I'd make it a HSH config, and probably choose a hum cancelling strat pickup for the middle, such as Duncan STK-S4m (middle version). Combining with the PAF-style neck humbucker in position 4, its make a less bassy tone with a subtle quack. In position 2, I like to split the pickups so it gives good brightness and maximum quack. Obviously there are endless options depending on your objectives.

Last edited by Teleplayer; 02-27-2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Sawtooth ET Hybrid Series Electric Guitars are the best value in guitar design. The perfect mix of modern and retro.

something like this?

Comment

the two three ways that close would mess me up but that looks badass!

Comment

Again, thanks a lot to each one of you for your great ideas!

Reading about all, two other versions came to my mind. One with 4 pickups and one with 3, because if I can put a single sized HB in the neck, and split it, maybe it is useless to have the original tele single coil? Or maybe I can use it to combine with other... too many options!

What do you think about these two below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ibanez3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	6061427

Name:	ibanez4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	6061428

Comment

I don't know if I'd bother splitting the little humbuckers, but putting them in parallel would be a more useful sound.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i dont mind the neck and middle split but almost always prefer the bridge in parallel over split

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          the two three ways that close would mess me up but that looks badass!
                          Yes agreed. It's a stupid way of going about it too. You can easily get this done with a 4 pole 2 way toggle (selects hums or singles) and then the 3 way to select bridge or neck. This just goes the other way around.

In fact, there even are 4 pole 3 way blade switches by Oak Grigsby so this is totally redundant.

Comment

Do the 4 pickup one. I have a bunch of pickguards I made with 2 neck pickups and it's awesome.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

Yes agreed. It's a stupid way of going about it too. You can easily get this done with a 4 pole 2 way toggle (selects hums or singles) and then the 3 way to select bridge or neck. This just goes the other way around.

In fact, there even are 4 pole 3 way blade switches by Oak Grigsby so this is totally redundant.

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	6061687

this works much better for me. having the switches so close would mess me up on stage all the time

Comment

Originally posted by maup View Post
                                Again, thanks a lot to each one of you for your great ideas!

Reading about all, two other versions came to my mind. One with 4 pickups and one with 3, because if I can put a single sized HB in the neck, and split it, maybe it is useless to have the original tele single coil? Or maybe I can use it to combine with other... too many options!

What do you think about these two below?

Name:	ibanez4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	6061428

If you’re putting the plate in with the small switches to turn the pickups on and off, why not make them 3-way switches with series/ off / parallel options? Rather than also having push-pulls on the volume and tone pots?

Comment

Working...
                                X