The new Duncan covers question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Duncan covers question.

I'm thinking of ordering a Duncan set with the new Raw Nickel / Tortoise Shell covers. Since these don't give access to the adjustable screws, do you suppose they're both stud coils underneath? And if they aren't, could they be ordered that way? Shop Floor custom, maybe?

Anyone know?

Artie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duncan_cover.png
Views:	200
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	6060699

i wouldnt assume they are both stud coils since that will change the way the pup sounds. im sure you could get a double stud pup but im guessing it would be custom shop, not floor shop

Comment

I'm guessing they must screw the screws down tight into the bobbin then. Too bad they didn't put holes in the tortoise for them to protrude.

Comment

i kinda think that would ruin the look

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i kinda think that would ruin the look
          You're probably right. I need that specific look for a project I'm working on. I may go full Custom shop.

Comment

any reason you really want double studs?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              any reason you really want double studs?
              Honestly . . . no. Other than I think it might sit under that cover better. But, I'm sure Duncan & Co. has probably worked that out. Wax, maybe? Or something.

Comment

My guess is that the cover just sits a little higher. Maybe they fill the gap with wax, I don't know.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I guess I'll find out when I order them.

Comment

i assume they just crank the screws down flush with the top of the bobbin, no wax needed. ive done that for people who wanted solid covers on paf type construction pups, works fine

Comment

Thanks. That's probably what I'll do, and save the money of going full Custom Shop.

Comment

While we're on the subject . . . I'm thinking that the tortoise shell won't interfere with the magnetic field, and therefore, will be sonically neutral. Virtually the same as no cover. Would that be correct?

Comment

Having that metal around the edge might affect it, but plastic will not.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Ok. I've just about got it down to Whole Lotta's for this project. But I was thinking about SNS's also.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              While we're on the subject . . . I'm thinking that the tortoise shell won't interfere with the magnetic field, and therefore, will be sonically neutral. Virtually the same as no cover. Would that be correct?
                              Yeah, plastic won't impact anything.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X