Do I want a Hotrails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I want a Hotrails?

I've got a great MIJ Jackson with Floyd and S/S/H set up; it currently has a JB in the bridge (which is absolutely staying) and Duncan stacked single coils in the middle and neck.

I'd like to get a neck pickup that can do the typical neck humbucker stuff (think Gary Moore, for instance) and have been considering a Hotrails, but wanted to check on some SD options.

I've had a JB Jr in a Strat, and found it didn't actually mimic a JB very well, which makes the obvious choice, a 59 Jr, less attractive.

What options would you recommend?

Larry

My only experience here is my Jackson came with a Duncan-Designed HotRails in the middle/neck. I was surprised how Strat-like the Hotrails in the neck was and could do thick leads with heavy gain also. In my guitar, which is Poplar, it did sound a bit dark, like a Strat with a blanket over it - but that was Duncan-Designed in Poplar, so YMMV

Comment

I'm like beau. I have a Suier Strat with three DD Hot Rails. Sounds killer, but I'm not sure how different the DD's are from the USA models.

Comment

Imo with single size hums it's best to decide on broad parameters first such as rails or screws and output. The voicing details kind of get lost in there because of the design limitations. The hot rails adavatages are it sounds strat like, and it's fat. The disadvantage is it's dark. You won't get much cut from them. The sd offerings with screws cut more, but you said you've tried the JB Jr and didn't like it. Dmz has a good range with different output, not just all hot like Duncan. Check them out. Also explain more what you're looking for instead of only saying you want it to sound like a humbucker.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          Imo with single size hums it's best to decide on broad parameters first such as rails or screws and output. The voicing details kind of get lost in there because of the design limitations. The hot rails adavatages are it sounds strat like, and it's fat. The disadvantage is it's dark. You won't get much cut from them. The sd offerings with screws cut more, but you said you've tried the JB Jr and didn't like it. Dmz has a good range with different output, not just all hot like Duncan. Check them out. Also explain more what you're looking for instead of only saying you want it to sound like a humbucker.
          This may be the best thing I have ever heard you say...

I think DiMarzio Fast Tracks are brighter than Hot Rails. Fast Track 2's about the same. Choppers are very HB like IMO.

But when you say Gary Moore - I go right to a Lil' 59.

Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The hot rails advantages are it sounds Strat like, and it's fat. The disadvantage is it's dark. You won't get much cut from them.
            I don't know if it's the guitar, the amp, or my ears . . . but my Rails pups have never sounded "dark." Different strokes, I guess.

Comment

Mostly the hot rails in the neck. Cool rails are snappier. However, Dmz has offerings that are much brighter.
              I bought them for you

Comment

A Hot Rails might have too many mids for a Gary Moore sound. I'd go for either a Little 59 or even a Red Devil.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Appreciate the input. More info-I prefer 'warm' neck pickups, but need to avoid that 'blanket over the speaker' effect. I love a 59 in the neck, and if the Lil 59 is a reasonable facsimile, that would make sense.

I'd heard the HotRails were dark, which isn't necessarily bad in this context, and powerful, which should let it match the JB in the bridge.

I'll check out DMZ, although I only have enjoyed a couple (the Air Norton in the neck, for instance), so may try the Air Norton S.

Any other ideas are very welcome, and thanks-

Larry

Comment

If you like the 59 I would say definately get the Hot Rails. Similar warm and fat sound. The lil 59 has a more cut up sound from the screws.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

I don't think a regular 59 sounds anything like a Hot Rails. Different power levels and opposite EQs. The Little 59 has more mids than the regular 59, but not as much as the Hot Rails.

Comment

59 and Hot Rails are both warm and fat with some chime. The lil 59 sounds nothing like that because it's clicky because of its screws.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

59 and Hot Rails are both warm and fat with some chime. The lil 59 sounds nothing like that because it's clicky because of its screws.
                          We hear things very differently.

Comment

This discussion would seriously benefit from people actually NAMING the specific pickup they are referring to

Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Bridge (hot!) =/= SD Hot Rail Neck (way less hot) =/= SD Cool Rail =/= knockoff double rail single-size pickups

For reference, SD Hot Rails Bridge pretty much defaults to Iron Maiden tones.
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

So does the neck, at least to my ears.

On topic, I found the HRn to have way too much output and sounding too thick, so I replaced it with a Little '59. Smooth, any yet full tone, and does cleans better than the HRn.
                              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                              X