JB pickup - high resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB pickup - high resistance

Was checking the resistance on all of my guitar pickups and one guitar's pickups are reading between 67K(single coils) and 74K(humbucker). It is a Strat with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Fralin Vintage Hots in the mid and neck. I have 2 other guitars with JB's and they are measuring around 14k. I had this pick guard loaded and set up years ago via mail order to model after another Strat that I have and it has always sounded a little different. Not bad but maybe a little more treble. Is something wired incorrectly? Looks solid but I am by no means an expert.

Did you have your multimeter on the right setting?
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

One of my pickups had its reading jump up. It doubled or so. I haz no idea why lol. Sounds the same.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

User error. I must of had one of the pots dialed down. Everything seems to be reading correctly now.

Comment

I was going to say it sounds more like one of your pots was not all the way up. Glad you figured it out!

The JB's are pretty high resistance though. I think mine measured 16.8k or so! I never liked the JB ( came stock in the guitar I bought ) so I rewound it to more of a hotter P.A.F spec. I think it measures around 8.9k now. It also sounds MUCH better. Less of that nasal honk thing going on and you can actually dial in a clean sound with it.

Comment

The high resistance jb is apparently some Van Halen folklore

Comment

Check your pots and dial all of them to 10.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
              X