Steel Wool Infestation--Help! 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Wool Infestation--Help! 

I did my frets (came out perfect the second time!) and stupidly used steel wool for a final polish.

My single-coil JB Jr. in the bridge has the crackles. Anybody know how to fix this problem? I can't remove the plastic cover.

I vacuumed the stuff off the other two pickups and they are crackle free so far.

I've had the pickup for like ten years and if I can't fix it, are there anyways I can at least sell the carcass?

You could try some using something like what car detailers use to clean dashboard nooks and crannies. It’s kind of like gack or slime and picks up dirt particles. I wonder if dripping melted wax on the polepieces and letting it harden would cling the debris to the wax allowing for removal.

Comment

Use a stronger magnet to pick it off
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

For once and for all: It's okay to use steel wool, but you have to clean your workspace even while you are working with steel wool. A vacuum cleaner is not bad, but the born cleaner for steel wool is a magnet!! Go over your workspace every 5 minutes and collect all steel fibers. Clean working is the most important rule!
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Good luck. You may have gotten stuff down in the pot, which shouldn’t be too bad.

I use steel wool but I tape over the pickups.

Comment

For once and for all: It's okay to use steel wool
            No, it is NOT okay.
            Steel wool rusts - easily. It's incredibly invasive - shorting out electronics, and it can get under your fingernails or into your skin. It's nearly impossible to get out.
            Steel wool IS THE DEVIL.
            If you must use a metal wool - at least use brass wool. It's not magnetic, and it doesn't rust.

And well chewed bubble gum can remove most steel wool crumbs from a pickup.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

No, it is NOT okay.
              Steel wool rusts - easily. It's incredibly invasive - shorting out electronics, and it can get under your fingernails or into your skin. It's nearly impossible to get out.
              Steel wool IS THE DEVIL.
              If you must use a metal wool - at least use brass wool. It's not magnetic, and it doesn't rust.

My decades of experience run counter to your decades of experience. And lest we forget, we’re both “luthiers.”

Comment

My decades of experience run counter to your decades of experience.
                Your "decades" don't change the fact that steel wool rusts, is magnetic, or shorts out circuits and pickups because it conducts electricity.

Comment

I've used 0000 steel wool to clean up fretboards but I ALWAYS tape off the pickups with painters tape and cover the pots and jack OR I simply remove the neck (bolt-ons only, of course). I don't want little bits getting anywhere. BUT, yes, it rusts and if it gets in to electronics can cause all sorts of problems. For fret polishing, use very fine grit sandpaper. I have Baroque fret erasers now in 180, 400 and 1000 grit. I used the 1000 grit just a few days ago on one of my guitar necks with great results.

Comment

Your "decades" don't change the fact that steel wool rusts, is magnetic, or shorts out circuits and pickups because it conducts electricity.
                    And and those negatives are easily defeated. By tape.

Funny what a few precautions can do.
                    Last edited by formula73; 03-01-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Blu-Tack is the go. Not sure what its called in the States. Google is your friend here. Roll up a ball of it and roll it across the top of the pickup. Been using this trick for about 35 years.

Comment

And and those negatives are easily defeated. By tape.
                        And you own stock in 3M?

Comment

And you own stock in 3M?
                          Nope

Comment

Steel wool IS THE DEVIL.
                            I disagree.

Comment

No, it is NOT okay.
                              Steel wool IS THE DEVIL.

Cool tips. I hadn't thought of bubble gum - can definitely see this working well. Of course, I'll have to chew some bubble gum for the first time in two decades, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made I wonder if sticky tack or other similarly sticky-but-not-too-sticky material would work as well.

Have you ever seen brass wool at brick-and-mortar stores? I haven't, but I haven't thought to look either.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                              X