banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Makes A P-90 Size Humbucker That Will Retrofit Into A P-90 Size Route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Makes A P-90 Size Humbucker That Will Retrofit Into A P-90 Size Route?

Title pretty much says it all: What (if any maker) produces a P-90 footprint/size humbucking pickup that will fit directly into a P-90 size route?

Looking specifically for a pickup that would fit in a LP Special type guitar.

Anyone make such a pickup?

Thanks

Dimarzio.

Comment

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

I'm pretty sure DiMarzio and a few other companies make them also

Comment

Bill Lawrence L550/560

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
          http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/...r-p90-soapbar/

I'm pretty sure DiMarzio and a few other companies make them also
          Yes, the Custom Shop does it, and you can voice it any way you want, since it is a Custom Shop pickup. Want a SLUG P90 or Dimebucker P90? They can do it!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

EMG do active and passive humbucking P90 replacements. But SD Custom Shop is a pretty cool option. P-90JB,P90SNS

Comment

For something a bit different, TV Jones also offers pickups in the P90 form factor.

Comment

DiMarzio has a nice selection of P90 looking humbuckers

Rio Grande has a bunch in both Dog ear or Soap bar form factors. I have a Baby BBQ mini bucker in my junior style PRS SE.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                  DiMarzio has a nice selection of P90 looking humbuckers

Rio Grande has a bunch in both Dog ear or Soap bar form factors. I have a Baby BBQ mini bucker in my junior style PRS SE.
                  How do you like the BabyBBQ? Is it as beefy as Rio says? Tight feel or loose?
                  And how do you attach that mounting ring to the guitar?

I have a full size TX/BBQ set in a McNaught and I like them a lot. Some have said they found 'em mushy in certain guitars but in this one they're just right, firm enough without being at all stiff. I think David's unique "set-through" construction probably has something to do with that - it's a superlong tenon that extends underneath the maple cap almost as far as the bridge. Brilliant design - gives a touch of neck-through rigidity while still allowing the neck to come alive at volume.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

firebird and mini-humbuckers fit in a p90 rout too

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

How do you like the BabyBBQ? Is it as beefy as Rio says? Tight feel or loose?
                      And how do you attach that mounting ring to the guitar?

I have a full size TX/BBQ set in a McNaught and I like them a lot. Some have said they found 'em mushy in certain guitars but in this one they're just right, firm enough without being at all stiff. I think David's unique "set-through" construction probably has something to do with that - it's a superlong tenon that extends underneath the maple cap almost as far as the bridge. Brilliant design - gives a touch of neck-through rigidity while still allowing the neck to come alive at volume.
                      I like it, pretty sure it's a little lower output than the full size BBQ, but it works well for me. I wouldn't call it too tight, definitely feels similar enough to all my A2 based pickups for me to be happy. I've gone back to the Lollars in my Kauer Banshee, but it sounded great in there too.

One of these plates
                      https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...0aAqNGEALw_wcB

And one of these rings
                      https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...waAq_ZEALw_wcB

Comment

The Creamery do a few.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

I like it, pretty sure it's a little lower output than the full size BBQ, but it works well for me. I wouldn't call it too tight, definitely feels similar enough to all my A2 based pickups for me to be happy. I've gone back to the Lollars in my Kauer Banshee, but it sounded great in there too.

One of these plates
                          https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...0aAqNGEALw_wcB

And one of these rings
                          https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...waAq_ZEALw_wcB
                          Thanks. I have a regular Babybucker that I might finally get around to installing.
                          I think it's a step below the Baby BBQ in output - at the time Rio wasn't making the BBQ mini yet.
                          Already have a ring like that, just wasn't sure how to mount it.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            firebird and mini-humbuckers fit in a p90 rout too
                            This. Mini humbuckers were developed to solve this exact issue. I figured everybody knew that just like they know everything about every other pickup lol

Or to put it another way...ive been playing for a year and I know this so I figured it'd be common knowledge amongst the people with more experience than me since I already know it this early into my guitar playing <shrug>
                            JC
                            -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                            -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                            -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                            -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                            -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                            -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Working...
                            X