Power Line Noise in standard size hum bucking pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Line Noise in standard size hum bucking pickups

Can anyone answer this question? Why are some humbucking pickups noisier than others? My house sits very close to some power lines running upwards of 14,000 Volts AC. I have many guitars with humbucking pickups and find some more sensitive to the noise than others. Are there parameters in the design of the standard humbucker sized pickup that can be adjusted to minimize this sensitivity to hum?REPLY

Welcome to the forum!

Humbuckers with uneven coils will cause more hum than ones with balanced coils. Sometimes, even balanced humbuckers can't buck all of the hum...I've been in studios and on stages where there was a hum, no matter which guitar I used.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the response. Yes I am aware that many pickups incorporate un balanced coils ( turns count ) to achieve a specific sound but yes you would think two identical coils would be the optimum design. But then one would think that the magnetic circuit would need to be identical for both coils too. I am amazed how quiet the strat sized dual rails pickups are. I am seeking a great sounding PAF like humbucking pickup that is very quiet. PIckup manufactures are not in the habit of publishing noise rejection specs. I wish they were. What would be the the quietest PAF style humbucking pickup that Seymour Duncan offers in its product line. Thank you.

Comment

The quietest would be something like the Alnico II Pro..it doesn't have a lot of high end so any noise doesn't sound so buzzy, it is a lower output pickup so it doesn't compress and amplify the noise, and it is wax potted.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sounds like you need an ISP D-2 right after the guitar, or if the amp has a loop just get the NS-2 and use the 4-cable hookup.
          1st pedal after guitar and 1st in the loop works great.

Comment

Working...
          X