Spin a split diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin a split diagram

Hello all. I’ve been trying to find a wiring diagram for the spin a split mod. HSS setup, no load tone pot, 5 way super switch. The diagrams I’ve found give me an approximation on the stock switch. I don’t want to use a dpdt switch like I’ve done in the past due to cosmetic reasons.

The spin-a-split feature isn't controlled by a switch, it's controlled by a pot.

Here is an example diagram of the concept, just a basic barebone setup w only one pickup so you can get an idea of how a spin-a-split works.

For your HSS setup specifically, you're going to need to either install an additional pot, or convert one of the two tone pots to a Master Tone pot for the guitar so you can use the freed up pot for the spin-a-split, or replace one of the three pots with a dual concentric pot (which is two pots in one), and wire 1 of its 2 pots to function like the Tone or Volume pot you removed, and the other to control the spin-a-split. For that last option that uses a dual concentric pot, maybe a more elegant arrangement is setting up the two pots of the dual concentric as Neck Tone and Middle Tone, and then the one original tone pot that remains installed, gets rewired to control the spin-a-split.

Forum member Clint55 who is a big fan of the spin-a-split feature advocates using a pot whose value is 50k or 100k, can't remember which. But the point being definitely far less than the typical 250K and 500K pot values. The reason being that at the bigger values, the size of the range on the pot's sweep that changes from both coils active to one coil fully cut is too small to dial in a good spot. Oh, and he advocates for using a No Load pot as well. Maybe he'll chime in here.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-06-2021, 06:15 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The spin a split has a very small usable range in the sweep of the pot to my ears. You should try using a switch and a trim pot or two and just nailing the sounds you end up liking.

Comment

I don't know if this will be helpful, or confuse the issue, but Peavey did something interesting with their old T-40 and T-60 guitars. They did spin-a-split while also maintaining the functionality of the tone control. As you rolled the tone down, the pickup also morphed into a humbucker. It's been years since I've heard it, but it was an interesting effect.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Peavey-T-60_wiring_seg.png Views:	0 Size:	7.0 KB ID:	6063261

Click image for larger version  Name:	Peavey-T-60_wiring.gif Views:	0 Size:	29.9 KB ID:	6063262

Comment

Yes, that's true Jack Tripper. You have to use a smaller value pot for a spin a split to work. I've found 50k works the best because it tapers perfectly. When I checked the dcr on a meter while turning down the 50k spin a split, the dcr declines gradually in proportion to the percent of the knob's sweep. If you use a 250k or 500k pot, all the usable portion is focused below about 2 on the knob! Doesn't work very well.. And you also have to convert the 50k pot to a no load so you'll have full series when the knob is on 10.

Bowmantecha, that's true if you use regular value pots. It works correctly if you use a 50k no load.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            It works correctly if you use a 50k no load.
            I'll have to try this. I've never been all that impressed with spin-a-split in the past, with "normal" pots.

Comment

Yep, it's fun having a spin a split that works. I recommend these. I like the audio 50k ones because it turns down past the series sounding tones and gets to the single coil sounding tones transition quicker which is around 25k and below to my ears. They also have dual gang ones if you want to use a master spin a split for a 2 pickup guitar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A50K-Ohm-Au...cAAOSwQ19aoxfh
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

I did a successful spin a split mod minus one thing. My neck tone becomes a neck volume when the neck pickup is selected. I’m not sure what I need to do to correct that. Except for that one issue the spin a split is great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by thrill74 View Post
                  I did a successful spin a split mod minus one thing. My neck tone becomes a neck volume when the neck pickup is selected. I’m not sure what I need to do to correct that. Except for that one issue the spin a split is great for me.
                  Tell us more about how you wired up your spin-a-split so we can help troubleshoot. There were a couple different approaches mentioned in this thread. Not sure which one you chose to go with.
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    I don't know if this will be helpful, or confuse the issue, but Peavey did something interesting with their old T-40 and T-60 guitars. They did spin-a-split while also maintaining the functionality of the tone control. As you rolled the tone down, the pickup also morphed into a humbucker. It's been years since I've heard it, but it was an interesting effect.

Click image for larger version Name:	Peavey-T-60_wiring_seg.png Views:	0 Size:	7.0 KB ID:	6063261

Click image for larger version Name:	Peavey-T-60_wiring.gif Views:	0 Size:	29.9 KB ID:	6063262
                    I saw this mod from Bill Lawrence and used it in a strat with a JBjr. On 10 on the tone pot you have the full humbucker. If you go down, it darkens the tone a bit. At 8.5 it becomes the brighter single coil sound, which will be darkened down to zero.
                    Very usable.
                    Last edited by hamerfan; 03-25-2021, 04:05 AM.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Tell us more about how you wired up your spin-a-split so we can help troubleshoot. There were a couple different approaches mentioned in this thread. Not sure which one you chose to go with.
                      I just used my standard 5 way switch wiring and then used the wiring diagram you first posted. Everything works in all positions except that the neck tone control cuts the signal completely off when turned to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by thrill74 View Post

I just used my standard 5 way switch wiring and then used the wiring diagram you first posted. Everything works in all positions except that the neck tone control cuts the signal completely off when turned to zero.
                        Well, in my post where I shared that diagram, I discussed different options for which of the 3 stock controls on a Strat could be converted to a spin-a-split control. Sounds like you converted your Neck tone control to a spin-a-split control?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Well, in my post where I shared that diagram, I discussed different options for which of the 3 stock controls on a Strat could be converted to a spin-a-split control. Sounds like you converted your Neck tone control to a spin-a-split control?
                          I missed that in the beginning. I didn't convert my neck tone to a master tone. I just wired the bridge tone to the spin a split.

Comment

Working...
                          X