HSS for Fusion - Screamin Demon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS for Fusion - Screamin Demon?

I just got my first HSS guitar and I'm planning to use it mostly for fusion, but would like to be able to push it if necessary for more aggressive styles (but not full-on modern metal - I have other guitars for that style). I put fusion and "more harmonics" into the SD pickup finder and the first suggestion was Screamin Demon with Custom Staggered singles. George Lynch plus David Gilmour is kind of a funny combination, but it sounds like it's crazy enough to work.

Scott Henderson says he had a '59 in his Charvel during the 80s with Chick Corea, but he usually rolled the volume & tone knobs back. So I'm thinking something a bit hotter like the Screamin Demon I could roll back a bit more but then be able to let it loose. Plus I don't necessarily want to ape Scott Henderson entirely and create my own sound that ends up a little more in the Greg Howe direction. I also used to always want a Demon with YJM singles - any thoughts on that combination instead?

One important consideration would be position 2 with one coil of the bucker and the middle pickup. I've never had an HSS guitar before and working with Duncan pickups is a bit more complicated due to the excess of choices than the more "boutique" brands that only have a couple options that are all meant to work together. Any tips appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!
    Another good idea for the bridge is a 59/Custom Hybrid. It certainly isn't a metal pickup, and it has more dynamics than high output pickups. But there is some push behind it, it has a slightly scooped EQ that sounds amazing if you use your tone knob, and in an HSS, it sounds great split, too.
    The Demon and the YJM singles are also a great combo, and you get hum-cancelling in all positions. I use an HSS a lot, too, and hum-cancelling is important to me, but I also never use the middle pickup alone (I don't use it on a Strat, either).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Screamin Demon is very versatile, and bright so it matches well with single coils in HSS guitars. You definitely need a tone pot for the bridge. I had mine with 250k pots and I wouldn't imagine using 500k pots in my Strat.
      - Demo starts at 3:20The first video from Yamaha Guitar Development showing some of the mods the team are doing for artists, prototypes and (occasionally) ju...

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
        The Screamin Demon is very versatile, and bright so it matches well with single coils in HSS guitars. You definitely need a tone pot for the bridge. I had mine with 250k pots and I wouldn't imagine using 500k pots in my Strat.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-xkwOtdvRM
        Thanks, you bring up a good point regarding the knobs. I was hoping to just do a master volume & master tone, but a bridge tone & a tone for the two singles might make more sense. So a 250K on each. Might try to wire it like:

Bridge
        One coil of Bridge plus Middle
        Middle
        Middle plus Neck
        Neck

Then have a push-pull for the bridge to go from series to parallel and another to have the neck always on for the bridge/neck combo or all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Welcome to the forum!
          Another good idea for the bridge is a 59/Custom Hybrid. It certainly isn't a metal pickup, and it has more dynamics than high output pickups. But there is some push behind it, it has a slightly scooped EQ that sounds amazing if you use your tone knob, and in an HSS, it sounds great split, too.
          The Demon and the YJM singles are also a great combo, and you get hum-cancelling in all positions. I use an HSS a lot, too, and hum-cancelling is important to me, but I also never use the middle pickup alone (I don't use it on a Strat, either).
          Thanks! I'm not sure how much I like a solo middle position either, but might as well have it. Demon & YJM does seem like the coolest HSS option for shreddy stuff, and ironically both pickups as far as I can tell are not overly hot. So you get good sounds, hum canceling, and you can push them a lot if needed.

59 Custom Hybrid has wild attack from the sound samples, that might be a nice option. Goes well with Custom Staggered?

Pickup Finder also recommended Quarter Pounds with JB. QP obviously great because of Ritche Blackmore. I just need more guitars I think...

Right now I think I prefer the Custom Staggered of all the single coils so why don't I start there. 59 Custom, Demon, Pearly Gates? All sound cool. Any idea when Trembuckers will be made again?

Comment

The Custom Staggered will have less high end than the Hybrid. The Hybrid is a traditional scooped PAF eq, but just with more power.
            BTW, I don't know if Blackmore ever used QPs...they are in his custom Fender, but historically, he was using Schecter pickups that looked like QPs.

Comment

There are so many flavors of prog rock and fusion. On the extreme end, I would suggest a Black Winter. Here is a write-up I did on the pickup.

Comment

If you want something a bit louder, Alternative 8.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Currently I have a Demon in bridge position of my HH guitar (alder body - rosewood/maple neck) with 500k pots. It's bright but not excessively bright like '59b IME. Very useable clean. It also reacts effortlessly with high gain (with suitable rigs) as if you use high output pickup. Custom strat family (SSL5, SSL6, STKS6) doesn't sound 'stratty' enough in middle and neck position for me. Using 250k pots, I'd rather go with STKS4 middle and neck. Or STKS7/Coolrails in neck position when using 500k pots.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                    Or STKS7/Coolrails in neck position when using 500k pots.
                    I had a STK-S7 neck with Screamin Demon bridge in a Fender Strat: a combination I didn't liked at all. I moved the STK-S7 in the bridge with a STK-S4 in the neck and it's very nice now, digging that combo.

Comment

Yes, the STK-S7 in the bridge with one or 2 STK-S4s seems to be a great combo for people that like a quiet but ballsy sound out of a Strat.

Comment

Just a thought, what about one of the patb models as the bridge?

Comment

I would think a STK-S7 neck with a PatB3 bridge would be a very good combo. Probably with a STK-S4 middle also.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the support and guidance. I decided to go with the 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge and get Custom Staggered for the two singles (RWRP in the middle). I've got all new pots and switch/jack coming in from StewMac so probably next weekend I'll be able to sit down and put it all together. Look forward to hearing this thing rip! I will share pics/audio.

Comment

Originally posted by David1917 View Post
                              Thanks to everyone for the support and guidance. I decided to go with the 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge and get Custom Staggered for the two singles (RWRP in the middle). I've got all new pots and switch/jack coming in from StewMac so probably next weekend I'll be able to sit down and put it all together. Look forward to hearing this thing rip! I will share pics/audio.
                              That sounds like a great combo! Are there 2 tones or 1 on there?

Comment

Working...
                              X