Counterfeit Alert - eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterfeit Alert - eBay

Realistic counterfeits are back on eBay. I would love some help reporting this seller's listings. I reported them both (as I have in the past), but one report isn't enough.

Unfortunately, he's already managed to make some sales...ugh

I don't think the fakes ever left Squeebay or Treeverb.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

They're common, but not always obvious. The counterfeiters have pretty much perfected the packaging, so it's much more difficult to discern the fakes if they are photographed in boxes, which is how many are being sold now.

In this case, the seller has unboxed pickups, so it is much easier to tell that they are fake. It would be great if others could help me get the listings pulled. Also, if a listing is pulled for being fradulent, there's a chance eBay will let the recent buyers know or cancel those transactions (at least they used to)

Here are some fake versions in reproduction boxes...you can see why they are so hard to tell from the real thing based on pics alone!

Last edited by Masta' C; 03-11-2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Yeah.... I bought a fake pair of zebra Pearly Gates for my Les Paul. They buzzed like crazy. No Bueno.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Is there a way you can tell visually? I just purchased my first SD pickups. All came in boxes with mounting hardware and instructions and all have stickers on the back of the pickups.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Garrison View Post
            Is there a way you can tell visually? I just purchased my first SD pickups. All came in boxes with mounting hardware and instructions and all have stickers on the back of the pickups.

Ron
            Easiest way is to post a couple pics of the pickups top and bottom

The biggest tells right now are the baseplate mounting legs, slug poles, and sometimes the top logo or label underneath. That said, it's not always easy. Measuring the DC Resistance is another way to catch some fakes

Comment

Always remember, if it looks like a great deal, be suspicious. Post the auction on here and get the opinion of the experts here *before* you buy. Or, find an authorized dealer and pay the money it costs for a legit pickup.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Garrison View Post

Ron
                Easiest way?

Sorry Duncan... the easiest way to get guaranteed authentic pickups online is to buy old used DiMarzios models that have no known counterfeit thereof in existence (DMZs have stamped model numbers on baseplates)

PS ones that DO have known knockoffs (not sure about baseplates, but distinct top look is copied pretty well): the Crunchlab/Liquifier set
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

WHOA!!!!
                  Seeing this post now...
                  These are the SD Pickups I just bought used on eBay.
                  Is any of them fake?
                  Logo look different on one and another...

Requesting info ASAP!

Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
                  Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Look legit to me. Little blurry though. The difference in logo is the thick logo is from when Cathy took over the company. On the website, Duncan was made thicker/bold and on the pickups both words Seymour and Duncan were made bold. She wanted to emphasize Duncan over Seymour.

Comment

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
                      WHOA!!!!
                      Seeing this post now...
                      Is any of them fake?

Requesting info ASAP!
                      Would you happen to have a multimeter and be able to measure the DCR for all coils, then report the results here?

The Jazz logo looks pretty close to this one here:

Comment

A thread with red v Fake comparison photos, that was stacked, would be really helpful...
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

These are the URL's...

Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
                          Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
                            WHOA!!!!
                            Seeing this post now...
                            Is any of them fake?
                            You're fine with those. SD did tweak the logo boldness

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              find an authorized dealer and pay the money it costs for a legit pickup.
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To me, it's worth the extra $10 or $20 to make sure it's real, it works correctly, and I can exchange it if I don't like it. Oh, and Sweetwater includes candy and the best gear catalog around. (That alone is worth it )

“The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Working...
                              X