banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 Dimarzio PAF construction + ceramic magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 Dimarzio PAF construction + ceramic magnet?

I just picked up a pair of PAFs. One from 1990 all normal, other from 1980 (as per seller). A bit disppointed in the construction of the pickup. The screw-bobbin wells are really deep and don't provide any thread to hold the screw, and as usual the metal block doesn't have any thread either so the screws are only holding by a 1-turn thread in the baseplate. 2 or 3 of the screws literally rattle in their holes. Also, a ceramic magnet?? Everybody was using them in the neck with a Super Distortion in the bridge, so it does make sense to keep up with the bridge I guess, but I expected an alnico bar. What lead me to open it is the magnet is literally dead. About 20% of the pull on my SH-2.

The old DiMarzio PAFs didn’t use a ceramic magnet. It was an Alnico. And the pole screws should be tight in the bobbin. I know because I used to install them!

That sounds like a pickup made for the hex poles that someone switched or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I made a short video. Watch till the end I film the magnet too. Notice there's no thread lines down the wells, so no hex screws were ever in there IMO. Employee error using wrong bobbin maybe?

Last edited by Tone-Analyst; 03-16-2021, 04:15 AM.

Comment

See the bottom of the bobbin, has a PAF bevel, and huge holes. Also the stamped metal spacer, vs a Gibson narrower milled part.
        Last edited by Tone-Analyst; 03-16-2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X