banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potting Seths and Antiquities. Good? Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potting Seths and Antiquities. Good? Bad?

Originally posted by Lewguitar
    Has anyone here actually taken two identical pickups, potted one and left the other unpotted and then compared them? Or are we just guessing that the potted one will sound less lively? I have not. Just curious...

Thanks! Lew
    I don't know, but I would think MJ and others at the factory might have some insight from those that have requested potted Seths.

I took 2 pictures of the factory "potters", and when we were standing there, I know that Evan asked MJ about potting Seths ...
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar
      Has anyone here actually taken two identical pickups, potted one and left the other unpotted and then compared them? Or are we just guessing that the potted one will sound less lively? I have not. Just curious...

Thanks! Lew
      Being a test freak and all, that's exactly what I have been wondering for a long time. I did not do it because I loved the all the non-potted ones I owned. And doing that test would mean possibly losing that initial tone. And talking to tim white (who described that in great detail), and jim rolph, made me believe them, and basically what they said was that with the potting, less harmonic content is to be trasferred to the output. And it makes sense, afterall sq'ling is a form of harmonic content, not desired tho.

I believe comparing some of the HB's I have, I hear that. I am talking about a comparison of a 8.75K 59b and a 8.70 ant with an a5; and 7.55K 59n and a 7.53K ant both with a3 magnets. All of those are uncovered. I know this is not an exact comparison, yet, maybe it entails a glimpse of the effect potting does.

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

BTW the following link might help (especially to those who would search for this subject in the future)

This is how fralin does his potting:

FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
        X