More chug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More chug

What is Duncan's best humbucker for chugging that still retains clarity and definition?

The Custom and Pegasus have pretty satisfying low end chug. The Screamin Demon may work for this too. They're all different pickups but check those three out.

I gotta have some low end in my bridge pickup too
    Last edited by gsammo79; 03-20-2021, 03:25 PM. Reason: Typo
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Ola’s chugging is more or less a Custom 5.
      "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And it’s the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

Comment

I really like the Black Winter myself. My favorite passive pickup.

There's plenty of Duncans that chug alright. The Duncan Distortion is killer too. The JB has a certain dirty 90's metal vibe that's great if you're going for that.

Hell, Bill Steer from Carcass uses a set of '59's, and he definitely has some chug going on.

Comment

Nazgul
          Pegasus
          Black Winter
          Omega
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

The Perpetual Burn "chugs" pretty good too. And, cleans up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              The Perpetual Burn "chugs" pretty good too. And, cleans up nicely.
              I'll second this! The perpetual burn is a good all-around pickup, usable in any style

What kind of chug are you going for, solspirit? Are you a super tight, aggressive, lots of pick attack, fast trem-picking cha-cha-chugger, or a slower, heavy, brooding, "sshug sshug" kind of chugger?
              __PRESENT
              LP, Pearly Gates A6 bridge, Alnico II Pro neck A2
              Strat, BKP True Grit bridge 'bucker A2, SSL6s middle/neck
              Strat, Perpetual Burn A6 bridge, SSL6s middle/neck
              Tele, Quarter Pound Tele bridge, Hot for Tele neck
              Tele, Transition A6 bridge, Air Norton A4 neck
              SG Special, Lead Mini A6, Rhythm Mini A4
              Jackson V, 500T bridge, 498T A2 neck
              RG, EVO2 A6 bridge, FRED A4 Neck

Comment

I can''t do better than what was already mentioned. That kind of thing is pretty well represented in SD's line.
                Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

If I had to choose one, and chug is the only criterion, then it's the Nazgūl, no contest.

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post

I'll second this! The perpetual burn is a good all-around pickup, usable in any style

What kind of chug are you going for, solspirit? Are you a super tight, aggressive, lots of pick attack, fast trem-picking cha-cha-chugger, or a slower, heavy, brooding, "sshug sshug" kind of chugger?
                    __PRESENT
                    Super tight, aggressive with plenty of pick attack, for sure.

Comment

Dimebuckers chug well and dial back nicely

| Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

Comment

PATB-2.
                        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), Epiphone Les Paul Special (SP90-1 set), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (TB-15/Lil59n), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:L6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, TC Eletronic Eyemaster, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal;

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                          Super tight, aggressive with plenty of pick attack, for sure.
                          I believe the ones marketed for metal are designed that way. Such as the ones mentioned.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                            If I had to choose one, and chug is the only criterion, then it's the Nazgūl, no contest.
                            Same. The Naz chugs like a champion. It's got a weird level of filth to it that makes it sound hotter than pickups with more resistance. The Black Winter would be my other choice if you want a more biting chug and (obviously) more versatility beyond chugging.

Comment

I appreciate the suggestions guys, keep em coming please.. I won't make a decision until I have more opinions and have done a little more research on my own. But I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, I've got two or possibly 3 guitars that I could put it in if I don't like it for the guitar I'm working on, I really want to get it right the first time, but if I do make a bad choice it wouldn't be the end of the world... Just more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X