More chug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More chug

What is Duncan's best humbucker for chugging that still retains clarity and definition?

The Custom and Pegasus have pretty satisfying low end chug. The Screamin Demon may work for this too. They're all different pickups but check those three out.

I gotta have some low end in my bridge pickup too
    Last edited by gsammo79; 03-20-2021, 03:25 PM. Reason: Typo
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Ola’s chugging is more or less a Custom 5.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I really like the Black Winter myself. My favorite passive pickup.

There's plenty of Duncans that chug alright. The Duncan Distortion is killer too. The JB has a certain dirty 90's metal vibe that's great if you're going for that.

Hell, Bill Steer from Carcass uses a set of '59's, and he definitely has some chug going on.

Comment

Nazgul
          Pegasus
          Black Winter
          Omega
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

The Perpetual Burn "chugs" pretty good too. And, cleans up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              The Perpetual Burn "chugs" pretty good too. And, cleans up nicely.
              I'll second this! The perpetual burn is a good all-around pickup, usable in any style

What kind of chug are you going for, solspirit? Are you a super tight, aggressive, lots of pick attack, fast trem-picking cha-cha-chugger, or a slower, heavy, brooding, "sshug sshug" kind of chugger?
              __PRESENT
              Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
              Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
              Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
              Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
              Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
              Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
              Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
              Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
              Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
              PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I can''t do better than what was already mentioned. That kind of thing is pretty well represented in SD's line.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If I had to choose one, and chug is the only criterion, then it's the Nazgūl, no contest.

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post

I'll second this! The perpetual burn is a good all-around pickup, usable in any style

What kind of chug are you going for, solspirit? Are you a super tight, aggressive, lots of pick attack, fast trem-picking cha-cha-chugger, or a slower, heavy, brooding, "sshug sshug" kind of chugger?
                    __PRESENT
                    Super tight, aggressive with plenty of pick attack, for sure.

Comment

Dimebuckers chug well and dial back nicely

Comment

PATB-2.
                        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                          Super tight, aggressive with plenty of pick attack, for sure.
                          I believe the ones marketed for metal are designed that way. Such as the ones mentioned.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                            If I had to choose one, and chug is the only criterion, then it's the Nazgūl, no contest.
                            Same. The Naz chugs like a champion. It's got a weird level of filth to it that makes it sound hotter than pickups with more resistance. The Black Winter would be my other choice if you want a more biting chug and (obviously) more versatility beyond chugging.

Comment

I appreciate the suggestions guys, keep em coming please.. I won't make a decision until I have more opinions and have done a little more research on my own. But I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, I've got two or possibly 3 guitars that I could put it in if I don't like it for the guitar I'm working on, I really want to get it right the first time, but if I do make a bad choice it wouldn't be the end of the world... Just more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X