Need a wiring diagram for this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a wiring diagram for this...

Hi folks. I have an hss strat (regular knob pattern). Gonna change the pups with a trembucker and quarterpounds. I have 2 "on-on two way mini switches". I wanna use 1 of them for gilmour mod and the other for all pups split/tapped. What should be the wiring diagram for a build like this? Thanks for the help. Cheers.

Originally posted by Justice View Post
    Hi folks. I have an hss strat (regular knob pattern). Gonna change the pups with a trembucker and quarterpounds. I have 2 "on-on two way mini switches". I wanna use 1 of them for gilmour mod and the other for all pups split/tapped. What should be the wiring diagram for a build like this? Thanks for the help. Cheers.
    For the gilmour mod, you're just adding two wires and the mini-switch as shown in this diagram.

For splitting all 3 pickups, unfortunately your 2nd mini switch is insufficient, it doesn't have enough poles. You need a switch w minimally 3 poles, one for each pickup. And I don't know of any 3 pole, 2 way mini-switch on the market, so you will need a 4 pole, 2 way switch like this.

Buy two way 4 pole minsi toggle switches and other electronic parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

For the gilmour mod, you're just adding two wires and the mini-switch as shown in this diagram.

For splitting all 3 pickups, unfortunately your 2nd mini switch is insufficient, it doesn't have enough poles. You need a switch w minimally 3 poles, one for each pickup. And I don't know of any 3 pole, 2 way mini-switch on the market, so you will need a 4 pole, 2 way switch like this.

Buy two way 4 pole minsi toggle switches and other electronic parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

ty for info. What if i use 1 for gilmour mod and the other for only bridge split?
      if i use splitted outputs at position 2 and 4, my goal will be achieved. Btw i just realised that my mini switches are on-off-on 3 poles.

Comment

And I don't know of any 3 pole, 2 way mini-switch on the market . . .
        They're there, but they're a little harder to find:

Comment

ty for info. What if i use 1 for gilmour mod and the other for only bridge split?
          Yep, that would work.

if i use splitted outputs at position 2 and 4, my goal will be achieved.
          I can envision how that is possible *if* you're using either an additional 2 pole 2 way switch or a superswitch in place of the normal 2 pole 5 way switch... but your original decription of hardware that you have on-hand doesn't seem to mention these options?

Btw i just realised that my mini switches are on-off-on 3 poles.
          the two switches will still still work for gilmour mod and bridge coilsplit, but in each switch, 2 positions will do the same thing and 1 position will do the other thing.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-23-2021, 09:19 AM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Wait a minute, am I missing something? He has hss...he doesn't need to split all three pups, he only needs to split the bucker.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Wait a minute, am I missing something? He has hss...he doesn't need to split all three pups, he only needs to split the bucker.
              The OP Justice requested "all pups split/tapped" and he states that his singlecoils are SD Quarterpounders. The hot version of the Quarterpounder pup has a coil tap option. I took Justice's comments at face value, but maybe confirmation from Justice about exactly which Quarterpound version he has would be helpful.

Comment

The OP Justice requested "all pups split/tapped" and he states that his singlecoils are SD Quarterpounders. The hot version of the Quarterpounder pup has a coil tap option. I took Justice's comments at face value, but maybe confirmation from Justice about exactly which Quarterpound version he has would be helpful.
                Ahh, I see what you're saying. If he has QP's that are wired for tapping, then you are absolutely correct. Agree, further info is needed from the OP.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                X