Mystery wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery wiring issue

I just swapped the hot rails neck with a YJM neck.
    For some strange reason the bridge pickup is audible no matter which position the switch is in. It’s a 3 way blade switch.
    I don’t think it was doing this before the swap, but who knows...maybe it was and I didn’t notice it.

Any ideas what would cause this? I checked the wiring against the 2 humbucker, 1vol, 1 tone, 3 way blade diagram. It all looks correct as far as I can see.

Anyone?

Comment

Look closely at the switch terminals. There are two different versions of the 3-way blade. I'm talking within the Fender/CRL/Oak Grigsby style. Not those Asian "in-line" 3-ways. They have the "common" terminals on opposite ends. You've got to look closely to make sure you have the one that matches your diagram, or transpose the wiring.

I'll see if I can find my pic that shows the two.

Comment

This isn't exactly the pic I was looking for, but it will do. And even though these are 5-ways, the same applies to 3-ways. Look closely at "A" and "D". At first glance, they appear to be the same. But notice that "A" has the common terminal on the right. (Gray finger.) And "D" has the common on the left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5-way_styles.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	6066802

Comment

So if I have the opposite one, I need to reverse the jumper wire that connects the 4 lugs to volume and also reverse the side that the hot leads of each pickup goes to...?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            So if I have the opposite one, I need to reverse the jumper wire that connects the 4 lugs to volume and also reverse the side that the hot leads of each pickup goes to...?
            That sounds about right. It's hard for me to say exactly, because I tend not to use a diagram. I just look at what makes contact in what position, then wire according to what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That sounds about right. It's hard for me to say exactly, because I tend not to use a diagram. I just look at what makes contact in what position, then wire according to what I want.
              I’m tried reversing everything but it still did the same thing. Here’s a pic of the switch installed in the guitar.
              I removed the jumper and hot leads.

Comment

Comment

The other side of the switch

Comment

Is that pick taken with neck up?

I mean, the neck of the guitar is pointing up.

Edit: Assuming it is, do this: Connect those four terminals together with the red line. That also becomes your output wire to the volume pot. Neck hot connects to the blue arrow and bridge hot connects to the green arrow. That should do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GtrJunior.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	6066853
                    Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-21-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Is that pick taken with neck up?

I mean, the neck of the guitar is pointing up.

Edit: Assuming it is, do this: Connect those four terminals together with the red line. That also becomes your output wire to the volume pot. Neck hot connects to the blue arrow and bridge hot connects to the green arrow. That should do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GtrJunior.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	6066853
                      Yes the neck is pointing up in the picture.

That’s how I had it!
                      I’ll try again.
                      I just followed a YouTube video and wired it like the guy showed.
                      The result was the bridge pickup worked properly but the neck was on in all 3 positions.
                      And the hot output to the pot comes off of the bottom most lug that the jumper is connected to..?
                      Faulty switch??

Comment

Ok, I wired it like you said and now the bridge is on in all positions and the neck doesn’t work at all.
                        I give up. I’m ordering a new switch and I’ll try again another day.

Comment

That is super odd. I've never seen a switch with that particular failure mode before. Once you get it out, see if you can post a clear pic of each side. Or, if you want to send it to me, I'll pay shipping. I'd love to see what's going on here. (If you're in the US. If not, it wouldn't be worth it.)

Comment

That is super odd. I've never seen a switch with that particular failure mode before. Once you get it out, see if you can post a clear pic of each side. Or, if you want to send it to me, I'll pay shipping. I'd love to see what's going on here. (If you're in the US. If not, it wouldn't be worth it.)
                            I just ordered an Oak Grigsby 3 way.
                            I’m on the east coast US so I’ll be happy to ship the old one to you. I’m sure it’s me doing something wrong....
                            I’ll let you know when it’s ready to be shipped. Probably a week or two.
                            I appreciate your help! Thank you

Comment

Cool. Certainly no rush. I'm just curious what might be wrong. I've seen stranger things happen in over half a century of doing this. I'll PM you an addy.

Comment

Working...
                              X