Alternative 8 trembucker output vs alternative 8 humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative 8 trembucker output vs alternative 8 humbucker

When I ordered my alternative 8 trembucker I noticed that the little red output meter went backwards a little bit when I changed my selection from humbucker to trembucker, since this was the only pickup I have seen do this I thought it was a computer glitch so I called and asked and was told that all the humbuckers and trembuckers have the same output. When I got the pickup it felt a little bit weaker than my JB when it should have been stronger. I had my suspicion but after seeing the pickup output test sheet posted I can see that my fears were true and the alternative 8 trembucker is weaker than the humbucker version. Why is this the only pickup that does this?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

My guess is that it is a range, and there is always a + and - above and below the stated amount. So that list is what they measured that day with that meter on those specific pickups. I am not someone who thinks that 761 and 651mV are that huge of a difference, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Any manufactured product has tolerances and variance. There’s no guarantee two identical model pickups have the ‘exact’ same output level, but the difference should be barely noticeable.

Comment

What might look like a big difference on a meter might not amount to a huge sonic difference.

Comment

What would you suggest for more output and louder 'feeling' pickup than the JB. I like the tone of the JB looking for more output and a little tighter bass response but retaining that upper mid range cut. I tried the custom and needed way more output than it offered. By the time I liked the sound it was too close to strings to be practical.
          But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

A passive pickup with the same sort of upper mid thing is the Nazgul. It is powerful, loud, and pretty much a distortion-only pickup. Other than that, I'd recommend a JB with an Alnico 8 magnet, or a JB with an additional preamp, like the Blackout preamp. Another idea is to boost the signal with a pedal after the guitar.

Comment

Does the blackout preamp let you hook up 2 humbuckers solderless or just 3 singles or HSS like the liberater? And does it just turn your passive humbuckers into active pickups?

Comment

The Trembucker doesn't have less output than the regular version. There are production tolerances for any pickup, but they are negligible.

What are you using as a measure of "output"?

The pickup could be wired wrong internally or some other issue with your soldering job, etc.

Comment

I think he was looking at the sticky topic which mentioned the mV output taken several years ago.

Comment

Ugh, that chart has known issues. For example, if you look at all the other "TB" models, the output is just copied over from the "SH" versions. The Alt8 is one of the exceptions and TB spec is clearly an error/typo.

Comment

Black Winter is another good option. Has serious output and some of that upper mids boost the JB and Distortion have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                        What would you suggest for more output and louder 'feeling' pickup than the JB. I like the tone of the JB looking for more output and a little tighter bass response but retaining that upper mid range cut. I tried the custom and needed way more output than it offered. By the time I liked the sound it was too close to strings to be practical.
                        Not to be a broken record but if you like the sound of the pickup, there a ton of ways to make it louder. That's what you're doing when you raise it closer to the strings - sending more output to the amp. Thicker pick, bigger/louder strings, boost pedal all come to mind immediately. You can keep changing pickups to get the exact tone/feel/volume that you're looking for, but trying to solve three problems with one component is a roll of the dice. Then again, maybe a high output pickup is what'll work - only your ears and hands know!
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                          Ugh, that chart has known issues. For example, if you look at all the other "TB" models, the output is just copied over from the "SH" versions. The Alt8 is one of the exceptions and TB spec is clearly an error/typo.
                          From that chart, it is obvious that treble response and attack play a part in the readings.

There is no way a full shred is almost as loud as an invader..

The full shred is also more powerful than the nazgul?

I see the full shred as a medium output pickup btw.

it also seems that most of the lower output pickups (59s) are not very far behind, power wise, the very same nazgul.

How about the dimebucker? It is very bright, right? It also has the highest output. Almost double the nazgul though? I bet it has way more treble and attack.

Comment

This was a very informal test, but this was the results on that day, with that guitar, with those people doing their best to keep things consistent. People were asking at the time for mV readings, so they quickly set up the test. My guess is that the results were real for the time they had to do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X