Best pickups for punk/ska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pickups for punk/ska

I think I've been tone chasing. I started out trying lots of fender pickups and came to the conclusion that I don't like single coil pickups (stacked or regular) and I think there humbuckers suck. So I tried 7 different DiMarzio pickups, I liked the super distortion but wanted more so I've tried a couple of different seymour duncan pickups, i started out with the JB/jazz combo and liked it,it sounded better than anything before so I figured I would see if Seymour Duncan makes anything better and if not return to the JB. First I tried the Duncan custom I liked it but I needed more output, by the time it started sounding good it as way too close to the strings.(contrary to the output test chart but I did not feel like it was stronger than the JB). I tried this out with the full shred neck and was intrigued by the tele like neck quality of the full shred but I needed way more output than the custom could offer for that combination. So I went back to the jazz neck and paired it with an alternative 8 trembucker (which turned out to be less output than the humbucker version), I like the alternative 8 I just wish it had more output (like the humbucker version does) so now I am searching for a guitar that takes standard spaced pickups. I am planning on trying the invader set, the Duncan distortion/sentient combo and try the alternative 8 humbucker with a screamin demon in the neck. If someone could tell me their opinion on which pickups would be best for punk rock and ska/punk like leftover crack, operation ivy,suicide machines and escape from the zoo. I would appreciate your opinion as this is getting rather expensive. Thanks
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

What amp are you using?
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Boss katana 50 no effects pedals
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

The Invader set.

Comment

I’m not sure how an Alternative 8 Trembucker would have less output than the standard-spaced version, unless you somehow managed to get two that were under-wound/ over-wound respectively. It could have been a wiring issue?

What’s the guitar? Strat?

Have you done any research into which pickups those bands have actually used? That’s always a good place to start. The songs I know from Operation Ivy and Suicide Machines have quite different guitar tones, so you might have trouble getting all the different tones perfectly.

IMHO, a 59/59 or JB/59 set would be a good place to start, dial in as close as you can on the amp, then see what’s missing.

Comment

I would just use the JB.
            "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
              ... So I went back to the jazz neck and paired it with an alternative 8 trembucker (which turned out to be less output than the humbucker version), I like the alternative 8 I just wish it had more output (like the humbucker version does) so now I am searching for a guitar that takes standard spaced pickups. ...
              If a regular spaced Alternative 8 is what you want, there is no law against using it instead of a Trembucker Alt 8 in an F spaced guitar.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I bought a fender FMT HH tele that came with pearly gates/59 combo in it and the pearly gates was standard spaced on a fender out the factory and the high e wasn't picking up as well as the other strings I don't want to run into this problem when as I play the higher strings alot in my ska. Prob gonna buy an epiphone and put alternative 8 in it. Any good suggestions for a neck pickup? Ive heard screamin demon in the neck makes good partner for the alternative 8. I want something a little less bright than the jazz neck with about the same output. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comment

I feel like the Custom 5 would work well for punk.

Comment

Most punk guys like Steve Jones, Mick Jones used vintage speced PAFs. Chris Lauria from Slapshot uses his stock Tele pickup for hardcore. Guys like Vinnie Stigma use more modern high gain pickups, punk is all over the place. I do not think there is a "punk" pickup.

Comment

I want something with alot of output tight bass response high mids and upper mids to cut through and something that will give me a good clean sound for ska verses and switch to distortion vial channel pedal on my boss katana 50 to very distorted overdriven tones and it has to have an excellent response to pick attack and something good for palm muted riffs . Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Most punk guys like Steve Jones, Mick Jones used vintage speced PAFs. Chris Lauria from Slapshot uses his stock Tele pickup for hardcore. Guys like Vinnie Stigma use more modern high gain pickups, punk is all over the place. I do not think there is a "punk" pickup.
                        Yep.

I was gonna say with a Katana, just go with a PAF. More than enough tone shape and gain in there for whatever, including a Tele bridge.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yes, any vintage output PAF-type pickup (59, Pearly Gates, etc). If you need more power for specific parts or songs, just use a pedal.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yep, I would be more focused on a nice Phase if I were playing Ska, an EHX Small Stone, or an MXR P90

Comment

I don't see you with passive pickups, if you want more volume. If you get higher in volume with passives you get more and more compressed and loose definition/attack.
                              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                              X