No announcement yet.

Best pickups for punk/ska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt the trembucker version has less output than standard. There are tons of other factors. I can’t think of anything in the last 30 years that has used a standard spaced bridge.

The invader has a ton of output but fuzzy highs and loose bass response. For something close but better sounding I would go black winter, make sure you set it up to split though. The neck is very high output, sounds great split for cleaner stuff and very loud when full. The bridge has a good split sound to. It has a bit more even eq than a distortion or invader so it may not sound louder, but it’s loud just not as mid spiked. Very versatile pickup for clean and driven tones.

You want the loudest punchiest bridge go with the parallel axis distortion. It’s higher output, thicker version of the distortion. The parallel axis pickups were made to fatten up thin sounding Floyd Rose guitars and they do an excellent job.

Comment

Ive tried the pearly gates but I'm just not comfortable with that amount of output I feel more comfortable with alot more output. I really like the alternative 8 I just want more output maybe thinking bout seeing if the custom shop could make me one with more output. But I know they're backed up right now, I've been waiting 10 weeks for them to make me a custom hot p-rail. I have multiple set ups too but I think I'm going to go with invader set in one distortion/sentient In one and prob buy an epiphone and do alternative 8 humbucker and screamin demon. I'll decide between these. And I'm going to put the JB/jazz in my nightswan. As soon as they are done with my custom hot p-rail I'm going to pair that with the regular p-rail neck and I'll let u guys know how that turns out.
      It's funny how some stories became historic,
      especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

More output than a JB? Maybe Dimebucker? Or an El Diablo?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          More output than a JB? Maybe Dimebucker? Or an El Diablo?
          I don't think you need it, bro. I used my WLH set in my last band it was more than heavy enough. Where is Wattage when you need him? Dollars to donuts he will say a vintage spec Lester.

Comment

IIRC there’s a boost built into the Katana, have you got that cranked?

Comment

So far I l am tied between the alternative 8 and the JB actually, but that's what I started with and if I don't like any of the others better I will go back to JB in my main rig but am going to give the other sets I mentioned a try I have multiple FMT HH tele's that they are going in. Just trying to find the best combo for my main rig I'm excited about the distortion as I've heard good things and it is next to try prob,
              But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Yes I have boost on for my distorted parts

Comment

This is a good video on the range of sounds a Distortion and Jazz can cover:

Here are a couple of videos on the Distortion with a 59:

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I don't think you need it, bro. I used my WLH set in my last band it was more than heavy enough. Where is Wattage when you need him? Dollars to donuts he will say a vintage spec Lester.
                    Yeah, but the OP was saying he wasn’t getting enough output from a range of pickups that I would have first recommended, like the Custom.

Comment

I love ska, my college band was ska, so my opinion matters, blah blah blah. An HH Tele should definitely get you there. Fat, juicy, compressed cleans and raw power distortion is the name of the tone game. I'd think a high gain Marshall model for the dirt parts (with an optional boost) and a Fender model with a compressor and boosted mids for the cleans.

Pickups - honestly a medium output pickup set is going to be your best bet for a solid tonal foundation here. You need the juiciness that low and medium output'ers offer. I just can't see Invaders/Actives giving the right kinds of tones and with a modeler like the Katana you should be able to dial in all the gain you need from the amp and built-in pedal chain. PAFs, wide-range humbuckers, hum-sized P90s should get you the juiciness AND have enough output to slam the amp when you kick in the boost/dirt/OD/dist.

I hope this doesn't come across poorly - just trying to help - but 7 pickup swaps in and you aren't happy, the problem isn't with the pickup, it's somewhere else in the signal chain. Pickups do make a difference, but it's often subtle and if you change nothing else about the signal chain, you're likely to keep ending up being unhappy. Is this with a band? Maybe a single speaker isn't filling out enough sound, and a pickup swap ain't going to fix that, you need more/bigger speakers. If it's home playing, I think you're better served by tweaking your settings more than by another pickup swap. Or even consider a second amplifier for the distorted parts. Tweak the polepieces and pickup height. The trem/non trem spacing generally isn't very significant for volume drop-off between strings, but I haven't played this particular guitar so I don't know for sure. You might need a bigger gauge high E string.

Caveat: a Tele is pretty much always going to sound like a Tele, no matter what you put in it. If the tones you're chasing are made by SGs, Les Pauls, things like that, you are probably not going to satisfied chasing those tones on a Tele. Hard to know sometimes when you're listening to your favorite bands - especially since what the guitars they record with are often different than the guitars they perform with so Youtube and Google Image searches can be misleading.
                      Last edited by alex1fly; 03-22-2021, 05:22 PM.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

No pedals the signal chain is guitar to katana, wat would you recommend for ample amp settings for ska/punk on a katana?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                          No pedals the signal chain is guitar to katana, wat would you recommend for ample amp settings for ska/punk on a katana?
                          By pedals I meant the Katana's built-in effects and boost. I see your other thread - will pop in over there.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                          X