Duncan Designed HB103 vs Duncan Distortions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Designed HB103 vs Duncan Distortions

A few months back I picked up a Jackson Pro Series Soloist with a set of Duncan Distortions in it. Really sweet guitar and after a bit of fiddling, I was able to dial in a killer tone. Fast forward to earlier this week and I got a great deal on an SLX DX Soloist with a set of Duncan Designed HB103s in it.

When considering if I would buy the SLX, I took into account having to swap out the HB103s, assuming they wouldn't sound as good as the DDs in my Pro, or the Elysian Trident IIs I have in my other 6-strings.

After playing the SLX and the Pro back and forth for hours, recording both, comparing the tracks side by side (one panned right, the other left) and back to back (one panned to both sides, followed by the same riffs on the other one panned the same) I can confidently say there's absolutely no noticeable difference in these pickups.

I played them through my AXE FX II XL+, then my Jet City JCA22h, then the JCA through 2 different cabs and recorded it every way - cannot tell the difference at all. (Obviously they sound different from the modeler to the tube amp, but when everything other than the guitar is apples-to-apples, no noticeable difference.)

In researching these, I've found a few places where people say they're the same, other folks say they're different, and some say the HB's are hit and miss due to quality control variances. While I can't speak to the hit & miss quality control, I can say there's no noticeable difference in the ones I have.

So, I thought I'd start this thread in case someone like me is out Googling the differences between the two sets of pickups. I'm not well versed enough to put out a polished YT video, or else I would have done that too.

I've had nothing but good luck with Duncan Designed's. I've got them in several axe's. HB-101's, (the 59's), HB-102's in two guitars, (the JB/Jazz set), HB-103's, (Distortion set), HR-101 set, (the Hot Rails), LS-101 set, (the Lipstick Tubes), and the SC-101 set, (cross between SSL-2's and SSL-6's). Love 'em all.

Crickey . . . I didn't even realize how many I had 'til I just listed them. I may have missed a set. (I've also had the HB-112 and the Invaders.)

And it makes sense. They send the engineering specs to the Korean factory. Why would Mai Xiong, in Santa Barbara, necessarily do a better job than Kim Lee in South Korea?
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-01-2021, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Yes, I have heard similar things. Many fans of the Distortion don't bother upgrading because the pickups are great to begin with. Enjoy, them, then!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’ve generally liked Duncan Designed pickups. The Detonator is a really cool one, Invader poles with a single oversized magnet.

The best one was the HB-102b that was in a Schecter I had like 15 years ago. Wish I’d have kept that pickup.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

You sir - who can not notice any differences are obviously, well, how do I put this? A TOTALLY sensible normal individual!

I have US Distortions in a Les Paul and a Dean Cadillac right now, and 103's in Jackson DX10 and a V.

Love them all.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

The best one was the HB-102b that was in a Schecter I had like 15 years ago.
            What's the 102 modeled after?

Comment

The 102 set is modeled off the JB/Jazz set
              1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400
              Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

And, just a little more info:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HB-102_DDs.png
Views:	1376
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	6069537

Comment

I had a Hamer EchoTone semi-hollow that had Duncan Designed pickups in it. They sounded fantastic and were a perfect match for that guitar. Man, I miss that one. I blame Ford because I had to sell it and a few others to pay for new transmission on a car that wasn't even that old and they wouldn't cover the repair because I was barely passed the miles warranty. Anyway, I think the ones in that Hamer were the PAF models, their '59 model.

Comment

Yeah, the HB-102 I feel is a little fatter (slightly more muddy, but not really "muddy" per se, just by comparison) than a JB, IME.

Comment

I’ve generally liked Duncan Designed pickups. The Detonator is a really cool one, Invader poles with a single oversized magnet.

The best one was the HB-102b that was in a Schecter I had like 15 years ago. Wish I’d have kept that pickup.
                      Ah, the Detonators. My favorite Duncan Designed pickups. Actually these pickups are the closest to a Distortion but bit more bottom end to them. Chunky. Nice when split, too.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post

Ah, the Detonators. My favorite Duncan Designed pickups. Actually these pickups are the closest to a Distortion but bit more bottom end to them. Chunky. Nice when split, too.
                        Guitar Center used to sell them for like $39. Killer pickup.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Guitar Center used to sell them for like $39. Killer pickup.
                          Really? Duncan needs to make them again. Or whoever made them does.
                          Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-01-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Detonators absolutely slay in a dinky or similar guitar. I agree they are like an invader/distortion hybrid.

Comment

I found a mint condition set of HB-103s for $55. Is this a good price for the set? These will go in a poplar Ibanez RG if I buy them.
                              Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-02-2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X