Ash body guitar pickup swap is a little tricky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash body guitar pickup swap is a little tricky

Got around to trying a few pickups in my ash body HSH Ibanez RG today. This is the only guitar I own that is ash and I have zero experience with what pickups would sound good in ash. But I want more kick out of this guitar. The stock pickups are lifeless, sterile and dull. So I put 3 DiMarzio pickups in. In the bridge I put a X2N, middle a Fast Track 1, and in the neck a D Activator X...

Right away I noticed the X2N isn't as extreme as other guitars I put them in. Output isn't as high and the lows and mids are less. Bass is lacking, as well. But the X2N sounds great in basswoood, poplar, and mahogany in my experience. But ash? Not so great. So out with the X2N. Not sure what's next. I am thinking a Super Distortion, Tone Zone, or possible an Evolution...

The Fast Track 1 in the middle sounds amazing! Very surprised with this one. I can easily get that stratocaster sound and a bluesy tone, but it is also pretty thick while heavily distorted. I like it. Very versatile. I'm happy with this pickup, so it is staying put.

Now to the D Activator X. Very good neck pickup and pretty much what I expected it to sound like from reading the description. Kinda bassy, though, and not very bright, but it does sound good in ash. Not as over the top as it looks. This one is staying for now. Later on I might try something different...
    Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-01-2021, 08:03 PM.

DA-X bridge might be a good fit, especially since you have the neck version also. It's EQ is a good fit for ash or alder IMO.
    The highs in it have less in the treble but more in the sparkle on top, and the lows and lower mids are stronger than in the X2N.

I agree the X2N sits great in basswood and mahogany. It just needs something with a bit of natural sponginess so not to sound bland and/or shrill.
    Last edited by dave74; 04-01-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      DA-X bridge might be a good fit, especially since you have the neck version also. It's EQ is a good fit for ash or alder IMO.
      The highs in it have less in the treble but more in the sparkle on top, and the lows and lower mids are stronger than in the X2N.

I agree the X2N sits great in basswood and mahogany. It just needs something with a bit of natural sponginess so not to sound bland and/or shrill.
      The D Activator X was my 2nd choice in the bridge but I chose the X2N over it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_212738.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	6069725

Comment

I always thought the Custom sounded good in ash, as well as the Custom variants. I don't like pickups with a lot of treble in ash like the Jazz or Full Shred, though.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I always thought the Custom sounded good in ash, as well as the Custom variants. I don't like pickups with a lot of treble in ash like the Jazz or Full Shred, though.
            I have a Custom Custom I can try.

Comment

Invader is another great fit if mixing brands doesn't bug you. It's big in the lower mids and rolled-off in the treble while still having a crisp ceramic presence.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post

I have a Custom Custom I can try.
                If you have it, try it. Order some magnets and see if you can find the sound you want for a few bucks.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Depends of what type of ash. Hard northern ash is very bright and snappy but true Swamp as is very open and warm sounding. Have a couple true light weight Swamp Ash Washburn USA guitars that are very open resonate and warm sounding. You can use a little bite like a Hybrid or PG in those guitars but wouldn't in a hard ash body. Hard northern ash sounds a lot like rock maple while Swamp ash reminds me of a good white Korena.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Instead of removing the X2N, I messed around with the height first. My other guitars I have it set the same, but with this one it's a little different. X2N is very, very sensitive. Treble I got it at 4.5 millimeters and bass side at 5 millimeters and that's not fretting the last fret. It does sound better. Much thicker tone.

Comment

I fret at the highest frets on each string and then raise it as high as possible without getting that warbling interference (with high gain), which ends-up in the ballpark of where you have it, but I feel the ear method up high is a bit more exact than just measuring. 1/4" from the bridge-side rail to the bottom of the open strings is a good place to start though.

Most people who have tried the X2N have not really tried the X2N set properly. There should be no warble even at the high frets IMO, but some guys don't play up there so it's somewhat a personal preference too.

Comment

Working...
                      X