Hotrails Neck Output Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotrails Neck Output Question

After getting so much help on whether a Hotrails, with it's brass ferrules molded in, could be direct-mounted, I used the toothpick suggestion I got here and decided to put one in my HSS MIJ Jackson. (The HotRails neck version happened to be one of the 3-4 Duncan pickups my local GC had in stock-place is darned near empty.)

I've got it *barely* missing the fretted string, and its output is much lower than the JB in the bridge and the HotStack (that came stock) in the middle-quite a bit lower.

I've got red and white soldered together, green and bare to ground and black to hot, so I think I wired it ok; I was honestly expecting quite a bit more output from this thing, so I'm assuming I have something catywampus...any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry

The Hot Rails is hot for a neck pickup. It isn't as loud as a JB, but should blend with the JB pretty well. The bridge Hot Rails is about as loud as a JB. The neck pickup area sees more string vibration at its location, so it doesn't need massive output. What's the HR sound like in your guitar?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, compared to the 'hotstack' in the middle, it's got less output, less distortion, overall 'cleaner'....yeah, something's wired wrong. I'm going to crack her back open and take a look.

Larry

Comment

Well, looks like, for the first time in my life, I got a bad Duncan out of the box; just metered the PU, and got this:

Nothing tied together
        W-R=Open
        W-G=Open
        B-G=Open
        B-R=Open
        B-W=5.28

Red and White soldered together
        BW=Open
        G-(RW)=Open
        B-(RW)=5.29

Looks like I've got a dead coil in this puppy.....

I guess I'll get to try out SD's CS for the first time. If only this wasn't a guitar with a Floyd, and I hadn't just strung it with NYXL's.....sigh.

Larry

Comment

Let us know how the exchange works out.

Comment

im assuming red/green is open too, though you didnt mention it. thats the one that matters. sucks to get a dead pup out of the box but it does rarely happen

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              im assuming red/green is open too, though you didnt mention it. thats the one that matters. sucks to get a dead pup out of the box but it does rarely happen
              Yes, didn't write it out (don't know why I skipped that one...) but the only reading was the B and W.

Emailed SD service, we'll see what happens now. I know they're behind due to COVID.

Larry

Comment

Quick response from SD customer service, and after a couple back-and-forth questions (they're making sure I'm not installing it incorrectly, completely reasonable) they're sending me an RMA.

Nice to know the company whose products I like so much has also got great CS.

Larry

Comment

Awesome. Make sure you update the thread when you get a working pickup back. I'd like to know how it sounds.

Comment

I ended up returning it to GC, as SD suggested; a replacement from GC would have taken until (I was told) SEPTEMBER or so, so I just got a refund.

I'll try again when stuff opens back up.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                    X