Noisy noisy Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy noisy Custom

I swapped the ceramic in my Custom for roughcast A2 and put it back in the other day, and it's noisier than I can ever remember any other humbucker being in this guitar. I'm absolutely sure it's grounded properly to the back of the pot. The two X-factors I can offer up as suggestions are the fact that at some point a tech who worked on the guitar cut the leads way too short to be useable, so I reran the entire wire, and I added a chrome cover to the pickup. When I measure the resistance between the baseplate and the back of the pot, I get less than half an ohm, so I think I hooked up the ground wire correctly. I can't imagine the cover can be responsible for such an increase in noise. Any suggestions?

Did you redo the wax potting after changing the magnet and putting the cover on?

Comment

Noisier as in feedback or hum, or something else?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

No repotting, but it’s had mag-swaps before. The noise is high-gain hiss, way more than the PATB-1 it just replaced.

Comment

I opened up the guitar and pulled the pickup out of the top to measure the resistance between baseplate and pot then put it back in, and it seems like the normal amount of hiss. Could have been something as simple as putting the pickup too close to the strings. This is more like what I expected. The Custom Custom and a Les Paul are a match made in heaven.

Comment

You say you added a cover? Did you solder the cover to ground? If not, it will act like a noise collector
            “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Working...
            X