Baritone Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baritone Pickups

So I recently picked up a PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone. It has a 27.7 scale. Mahogany body with a maple neck and ebony board. I am planning on setting this guitar up for Drop B tuning. From some reviews that I have read, the guitar will be a bit scooped sounding.

I want some pickups that will balance the tone out and be tight and punchy under high gain. I will be using this with my Splawn QuickRod for down tuned stuff. Any pickup suggestions I should look into. This is my first foray into down tuning past drop d. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

I'd say either a Pegasus, Black Winter, or Nazgul. The Pegasus is slightly scooped with a modern low end. The Black Winter has mids if you don't want a scooped sound, and the Nazgul is wonderful if all you ever use that guitar for is super gain chug-a-thon. It does that really well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mincer hit it on the head.

That said, I'd try the guitar before I changed anything. I remember playing a MM and the G&B pickups that came on that guitar really aren't bad. Also, just because someone else's sounded "scooped" to them, doesn't mean your particular guitar will or that it will be that way through your QuickRod. Asking for suggestions before you try the guitar out through your setup is a bit "putting the cart before the horse", so to speak...

Comment

Well, the guitar is not coming with pickups installed. So I’m trying to figure out where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Duncan - Black Winter set. Very versatile. You can play anything with these. Make sure you coil tap them as well. Should be great with a baritone and very balanced in a guitar with a mahogany body.

DiMarzio - D Activator set. High end sparkle with lot of harmonics. Sounds excellent coil tapped, too. Underrated set. If you like an EMG 81, you'll like D Activators. I prefer these over any EMG. The X2N slays in a mahogany body 7 string. I imagine a baritone would be just as good. If you go with a X2N, get a D Activator neck to go with it.
          Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 04-04-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
            Well, the guitar is not coming with pickups installed. So I’m trying to figure out where to start.
            You didn't say that in your initial post

Tight, punchy, balanced = Black Winter set

Comment

Sometimes with baritones pickups that normally arent flubby start to flub out. I guess it depends on what you are trying to do with it maybe you like fuzzy and flubby but generally pickups that are tight in the low end work better. The Black winter is a good place to start.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

My 27.5” 8 string has the Fluence Tosin set, both voicings and the single coil tones are killer in the lower ranges... the higher ranges, too.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry that I forgot to mention in the first post that the guitar did not have pickups installed. I figured that whatever I put in the guitar was going to have to be tight to keep the guitar from turning into a mud fest.

Comment

Working...
                  X