banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doe's SD use ceramic magnets in the singe coil size humbuckers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doe's SD use ceramic magnets in the singe coil size humbuckers ?

Just curious but why don't SD use alnico magnets in their single coil size humbuckers ?
    On the full size humbuckers everyone swears buy what magnet that is used to help create that special tone , so why does SD use ceramic mags on all of their single coil size humbuckers if the magnet is so important.
    Also , are the JR humbuckers really that close to the full size pickups using ceramic mags or are they just a quick fix for having a humbucker in a single coil slot and calling it a day ?
    Last edited by JB6464; 04-04-2021, 03:23 PM.

Because small and powerful. Just a guess...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My guess would be with the small sensing window, they use the most powerful full range mag and tune the pickup frequency response and output with the wind. Could also be that with the small sensing window, the pickup isn’t as sensitive to magnet type changes. Could also be that making all the Alnico flavors at rail size is not cost effective. But I’m not a winder, that’s a wild guess based on what I’ve learned reading winders discuss how they control the sound of a pickup.

Comment

I can say that I bought a 'Belcat' hotrail type with (supposedly) an Alnico 5 magnet, and in that small pickup, the A5 wasn't 'warm', it was weak. I'm guessing it's what BB and Ace mentioned, and SD knows enough to get the power of a ferrite and tune the tone correctly.

Larry

Comment

My impression is that it's for more output like mentioned and also that the cut of the ceramic punches through the compression of the wind well. I think it's a good combo. Sc size hbs are the only instance where I like ceramic. Althogh the red devil is A5 and sounds great. Apparently the lil pg is A2 too.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Scroll down.

Comment

The end result is more important than the ingredients. If that helps them achieve their goals, I don't care what magnet they use.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                The end result is more important than the ingredients. If that helps them achieve their goals, I don't care what magnet they use.
                Theres a ton of people around here that you couldnt convince of that though. Especially when it comes to mags.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

This video showed that the Little/ Jr pickups didn’t quite have the brightness of the full-sized versions, so perhaps with alnico magnets it would be even more noticeable?

Comment

They're stronger for the size

Maybe A8 could also work, but it was forgotten as a pickup magnet option for decades after the early 70s... not sure if the people designing popular single-sized aftermarket humbuckers in the 80s were aware of its existence
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

It's because Alnico is not strong enough at that size. Out of all of them, the Lil' Screamin' Demon sounds closest to the full size humbucker. I've tried them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post

Theres a ton of people around here that you couldnt convince of that though. Especially when it comes to mags.
                        Indeed, which is why it is important to repeat.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          It's because Alnico is not strong enough at that size. Out of all of them, the Lil' Screamin' Demon sounds closest to the full size humbucker. I've tried them all.
                          Thank you! thats one i had tried and was skeptical cause the others had disappointed for that reason, how maybe ill give it a shot.
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                            This video showed that the Little/ Jr pickups didn’t quite have the brightness of the full-sized versions, so perhaps with alnico magnets it would be even more noticeable?
                            Yep. The lil winds are more compressed and the ceramic compensates for that while providing more output. Alnico does work tho, my red devil sounds great.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                            X