banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To A2P, or not A2P, which is the pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again - no mastering for YT vs SC

Straight in and up.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Again - no mastering for YT vs SC

Straight in and up.
      In other words, no foreplay?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        150 views and only 4 takers on which is what?

OK....let's pull back a little bit of the curtain. The pickups are, in no particular order:

An A2P - in a Dean Cadillac
        A Pearly Gates - in a Dean Cadillac
        A 79 Gibson T-Top in a Les Paul

So - what do you think now???
        Stil thinking the A2P si the second sample. And the PGn is the tihird

Comment

I’ve watched the video once, but only through my phone’s speaker. I could hear the differences, but not enough to pick a favourite/ guess which is which.

Comment

I think the A2P is #2
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Listened on both YT and SC, for what my poor ears hear A is the T-Top, B is PG and C is the A2P. C sounded bang on for me.

Comment

I'm a little surprised now that I see an A5 t-top was included. I didnt hear *that* through my phone like I thought I would.
                Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
                  I'm a little surprised now that I see an A5 t-top was included. I didnt hear *that* through my phone like I thought I would.
                  Remember - it has the tone on zero....so there is that.

Comment

Originally posted by dressed2kill View Post
                    Listened on both YT and SC, for what my poor ears hear A is the T-Top, B is PG and C is the A2P. C sounded bang on for me.
                    This is what I heard too. #3 sounded closer than the others. Close call though

Comment

I thought #1 was A2P, #3 was PG and #2 was other.

I’m curious what #2 is, it sounds different from the other 2. I’d be very happy with 1 or 3! And probably just a mild tweak to be happy with 2 also.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I am researching possible differences on #2. It's been mentioned a lot....

Comment

Update:

I was wondering if the issue was pickup height differences. So I checked. Interestingly enough I will say:

Pup A is the closest - a little closer than standard neck distance.
                          Pup B & C are about the same distance, about 2-3mm (typical neck distance 3/32ish), but further than pup A

Comment

And now for the big reveal!

Pickup A: Duncan Pearly Gates, that is a little closer to the strings than the other two

Pickup B: An A2P

Pickup C: A Gibson 1979 T-Top

I would be just fine playing Sweet Child on any of them. I do it most often/Always on the PG, and I think I like the overall tone of that the best. Bias note: I love a PG in the neck! I like the sound of the T-Top next best. It is in a darkish Les Paul, so there is that. I have always really liked that pickup in the neck of that guitar. As I have said (look it up) That pickup can out Slash Slash". I may simply have the longest history with that guitar and pickup, so am the most comfortable. I like the A2P, but am not overwhelmed by it. I may try raising it up just a touch and see what happens. I will say that I like them better than the stock Dean pickups (Generic Koreans). Again - I think the A2P is a solid overall pickup. I just generally like a more biting tone.

Thank you all for playing!

I hope you enjoyed, and continue discussion. Why did you guess what you did? Were you surprised.

I know the little sound blast as the phone picked up the SPL from the cabinet was a little distracting. And for those of you wondering....yes - this IS part of me gearing up the JB showdown.
                            Aceman
                            less mild old man perv
                            Last edited by Aceman; 04-07-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

At the time i guessed, i would've put money on my answer.

After hearing about the dark guitar the T-top is in i can see how it's more A2P-like. It does a bada$$ Slash tone, no doubt about it. I'm surprised how well all *three* neck pickups did covering GnR.

Comment

Excellent Ace.

I will now work on my guitar playing instead of tone chasing. Literally any of the three would work fantastically.

And thinking more about it, to me the output sounded like 3 was the strongest, followed by 1, followed by 2, which I guess matches up with the results? Still, my takeaway is get some decent pickups in the guitar and spend more time playing, less time reading.
                                PFDarkside
                                of the Forum
                                Last edited by PFDarkside; 04-07-2021, 10:07 AM.
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X