Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me troubleshoot my JB pickup

Hi community,

I bought an EC-1000 Piezo (59 in the neck, JB in the bridge) second hand a few months ago and I think there's something wrong with the bridge JB, I need some help to figure out whether I am missing something and/or how to fix it.

Since I got the guitar, I have been using mostly the 59 which sounds incredible but I haven't been using the JB much as the sound did not really appeal to me. Yesterday, I realised that the neck pickup (59) was really low and decided to make both pickups higher (pictures are after adjustment), the 59 sounds even better, but the JB on the other hand sounds worse. The output of the JB is much lower than the 59 even though it's significantly closer to the strings, and the sound is quite dull.
    Did I just set it too high? The strings intonation seems fine so I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the pickup but I'm not well-versed when it comes to gear so not sure how I would troubleshoot that.
    What do you think?

Thank you!

Here's another picture https://ibb.co/HKBZF2r

Comment

Great guitar! But sorry about the issues...the first step is to determine if your JB is functioning properly, which doesn't sound like it is. A quick test is to see if both coils are functioning. While the guitar is plugged in and 'on' (but not loud), gently tap on first the screws, then the studs of the pickup with a screwdriver. You will hear if a coil of the pickup isn't working. Next step is that we need to see some pics of the wiring.

Do you know how to use a multimeter?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is your EC-1000 wired in a way that the volume control closest to the neck actually controls the bridge pickup?

A friend of mine has an EC-500 and the controls on his are in order from neck to bridge: Bridge Volume -> Neck Volume (middle knob) -> Master Tone.

I don't know if that is standard for all EC guitars but it helps to know that you are actually hearing what you think you're hearing.

Apologies if you already knew this.

Comment

Oh man, I'm incredibly silly, I ran the coil tapping test you mentioned and realized I was using the pickup selector wrong ... I thought the JB was the 59 when it was the opposite. The output was low simply because the neck pickup was much lower than the bridge one (see the picture). I elevated the neck pickup and will test some tones tomorrow but I think everything is fine in the end. Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for your help gentlemen!!

Comment

Glad you found the problem doing the tap test. Looking at the first picture, the JB appears to be too close to the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingsejong View Post
              Oh man, I'm incredibly silly, I ran the coil tapping test you mentioned and realized I was using the pickup selector wrong ... I thought the JB was the 59 when it was the opposite. The output was low simply because the neck pickup was much lower than the bridge one (see the picture). I elevated the neck pickup and will test some tones tomorrow but I think everything is fine in the end. Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for your help gentlemen!!
              Happy it worked out! Sometimes it is very simple, but it didn't require surgery!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X