banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split Coil Wiring Diagram Help - 3H 3V 1T - 3x3 way slide switches (off/on-H/on-S)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Coil Wiring Diagram Help - 3H 3V 1T - 3x3 way slide switches (off/on-H/on-S)

Hi,
    Thanks in advance for any help on this. I've searched with no luck.

Put simply, I want to install 3 x wide range humbuckers and have individual Jaguar style 3-way slide switches for each pickup. The 3 positions on the switches (for each pickup) will be:

1: Off
    2: On - Humbucker
    3: On - Single Coil

Then it's 3 volume knobs (one each pickup) and 1 tone knob (master).

Can anyone help? Or put me in the right direction!?

Thanks again,
    Charlie

So it turns out I want something very similar to a Gibson Skunk Baxter Firebird VII. Jack White plats one...

It has 3 x on/off switches for each pickup plus 3 x coil tap switches for each pickup.

That's nice but I'd like to set all of that in 3 switches rather than 6 if you see what I mean.

So each pickup has one switch - and it's either 'off' or 'on in humbucker mode' or 'on in single coil mode'

Here's a really quick video explaining the 6 switches in the Skunk Firebird:
    Here we are again, ladies and gentlemen! The 2014 Winter NAMM Show is upon us, and we're pulling out all the stops! In this video we're joined by Jim De Co...

And the Gibson page:
    The Skunk Baxter Firebird by Gibson USA is built in the tradition of the original “reverse-body” Firebird, with its iconic looks and multi-piece “neck-through-body” construction for superior strength and sustain. A new set of Firebird Mini-humbuckers, designed by Jim DeCola, are the hottest mini-hums yet but retain the sweet, dynamic tone of Gibson’s original ’57 humbuckers.

Comment

Here's how to do the 3-way slide switches:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-way_slide.png
Views:	114
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	6071719

Comment

Great thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

So check out this rudimentary diagram! Tell me how wrong I am!?
        Attached Files

Comment

That looks good. And I assume you know to join all the pot grounds and jack ground.

Comment

Yes - so final diagram as follows:

Attached Files

Comment

Yup. Let us know how this works out and sounds.

Comment

Thanks - really appreciate the help. I've only just ordered the pickups so it won't be soon!

I got great help here a while ago on a different project below...I aim to report back quicker!

Brief report is currently the last post.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCDubya View Post
                  Thanks - really appreciate the help. I've only just ordered the pickups so it won't be soon!
                  This isn't critical, but if you do this slight mod of the middle pickup switch, it should make N/M and M/B hum canceling when both are split.

Name:	3-way_slide-2.png
Views:	125
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	6071941

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

While I've got your attention...! Can I just ask a(nother) stupid question!?

I might chose to use 3 x mini toggle switches instead of 3 x slide switches.

Looking at a mini toggle on/on/on switch, there are 6 poles, not 8 like a 3 way slide switch. What would be the wiring for using 6 pole mini toggle on/on/on switches to achieve the same outcome?

And would it possible to get the hum cancelling with the middle switch as in comment #9?

Here's an example of an on/on/on mini toggle switch I have in mind.

I plan to build the slide switches first but I'd like to have the option to change to mini toggles if it'll work out better.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MrCDubya View Post
                        While I've got your attention...! Can I just ask a(nother) stupid question!?

Thanks!
                        Pretty sure that's do-able. Gimme a sec.

Quik-'n-dirty. No living color.

Name:	3-way_toggle.png
Views:	129
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	6072463
                        Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-10-2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Dang! There's one little issue with that diagram. With toggle switches, the contacts move opposite the handle. So that would be top off. Those switches must be rotated 180 deg's for bottom to be off. I can redraw it if need be,

Comment

The only issue I think may come up aside from the reverse direction switches is the interaction of the volume pots with the way you have it wired currently.

You are essentially looking for the blender Stratocaster wiring. Seen here: https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/t...r-stratocaster

Adding the tone pot is pretty much exactly as you have it.

Comment

I pretty much agree with that. 3 switches, and 3 vol pots is somewhat redundant. Even when one pickup is on, it's going to see the load of all three pots in parallel. For 500k pots, that will be 166k. That will be quite a tonal hit. 3 250's will be even worse at 83k.

Comment

Working...
                              X