banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting a "super thin" surface mount pickup, on an archtop lid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a "super thin" surface mount pickup, on an archtop lid...

So!

I'm about to finally take the step, and spend my savings on guitar / music equipment.

One thing I've been missing on my one, and only electric- a Epiphone Wildkat Koa (with 2x P90's), is a middle pickup,
    - I found a "surface mount" GFS pickup, that is so short, that it will fit on top of my guitar's top, and still have some distance to the strings.

Problem is, that it is flat underneath, and the guitar has an arched lid. Also, the pickup is made to be screwed in with four screws, and I don't want to... or would prefer, not to drill four holes in my guitar.

So I've been playing with the idea, of attaching the pickup with "air-drying modeling clay" and maybe a drop of glue? :o

If else, I'd need a luthier to make a wooden bracket, and it would cost a fortune.

I want to place the pickup, (a rather hot, P-90 like, GFS model) very close to the bridge pickup, and have a switch so that I can get the new "middle" pickup in series, or parallell, or the bridge pickup alone.

It's chrome, while the stock pickups are gold plated... but that's not an issue. I just strongly miss having a middle pickup- and it can be done for just 50 dollars!

So... air-drying modeling clay? Or other ideas?

thanks

-E
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

I think you should drill holes and mount it with screws if you're hellbent on doing this. Then it'll never shift/move, and depending on how you tighten them down you'll probably have a slight ability to tilt the pickup to the treble/bass side. I'd expect that four small screw holes will cause less damage than playing around with superglue (which likely won't hold the pickup very well anyway..
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Lace Sensor makes an Ultra Thin pickup affixed with double sided tape.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
      X