JB In The LE HM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB In The LE HM?

I had to go through my parts shelf earlier and I saw 2 out of my 3 JBJ's. It's been over a year and I've resisted the temptation, but last night really got me thinking about putting one of them in my HM Strat.

The stock humbucker still sounds okay to me, but I haven't had a JB in a guitar since ~1986. Have I just forgotten that magic tone of the JB in a Superstrat? What are your thoughts and why?

NGD - LE HM Strat
    Yes
    91.67%
    No
    8.33%
    Rob Option
    0%

The poll is expired.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Voted Yes assuming you are going to take a trip back to the 80's?
    Personally I never really had any luck with the JB in my guitars. But since you have a couple of them with extra mojo, you can never go wrong imo!

Comment

Throw it in there and indulge. It's one badass lead pickup. Just got myself one too
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
        Voted Yes assuming you are going to take a trip back to the 80's?
        Personally I never really had any luck with the JB in my guitars. But since you have a couple of them with extra mojo, you can never go wrong imo!
        I had my original JBJ in this from ~1984 to ~1986. It really nailed the Brad Gillis tones and got 90% plus on everyone else using a JB at the time. A little surprising since I was using a Kahler and most everyone else was using a Floyd. I took the JB out and put a Distortion in when I started chasing George Lynch tones in late '86 or early '87. I wasn't disappointed by the Distortion either. I finally put the stock pickups back in somewhere around '95.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Awesome, I am definitely getting a kahler if one pops up for the right price. Never played with one but they make more sense to me as a unit than any other trem system.
          Is yours a converted hardtail strat?

Comment

I say no! you already like the pickup in the guitar so the solution is to buy another guitar to put the JB in!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

While Mincer makes a valid point, the decision is yours.

How do you like the HM? I had a few (decades ago) including one of the rare old ones with a real Floyd instead of the Kahler Spyder, they were all great guitars and the stock DMZ Super 3 is a super fun pickup to play! How are the new ones?

Comment

why keep the stock "ok" pup when you can put a kick ass jb in there?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                  Awesome, I am definitely getting a kahler if one pops up for the right price. Never played with one but they make more sense to me as a unit than any other trem system.
                  Is yours a converted hardtail strat?
                  No, the Strat actually had a Fender stock trem in it. That was less stable than the Kahler I had in another guitar, so I had the stock converted to the Kahler.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I say no! you already like the pickup in the guitar so the solution is to buy another guitar to put the JB in!
                    This could be setting a precedent...I also passed by an uninstalled Screamin' Demon and a PATB-2 before seeing the JB's. Maybe 3 additional guitars are better than 1?!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      While Mincer makes a valid point, the decision is yours.

How do you like the HM? I had a few (decades ago) including one of the rare old ones with a real Floyd instead of the Kahler Spyder, they were all great guitars and the stock DMZ Super 3 is a super fun pickup to play! How are the new ones?
                      I'm really digging the neck profile and 17" fretboard radius on my HM! It plays fast and easy.

My challenge is I'm a 36 year Kahler 23xx player and this is my first Floyd Rose. Early on I kept pushing the Floyd sharp while fine tuning as the Kahlers are much stiffer. It tripled my tuning time right out of the gate, but I finally sorted out I need a lighter touch when tuning. The more freely floating Floyd does do a better "cricket".

The stock Fender humbucker has an '80s tone, but the only DiMarzio's I've owned are the Super D and Evolution so tough for me to objectively compare to the Super 3. My amps also bring a lot more gain these days and help make up for anything the stock Fender might be missing. I think the stock HM splits better than the stock in my Player Series Lead III.

Still I'm wondering if a JB in there will have that ultimate magic '80s tone I'm remembering, so I think at the least I'm gonna have to throw one in there to test.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

This could be setting a precedent...I also passed by an uninstalled Screamin' Demon and a PATB-2 before seeing the JB's. Maybe 3 additional guitars are better than 1?!
                        You've discovered the secret to eternal happiness.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

While an old MJ JB would be better, I would stick a Super 3 in it, because I'm a purest and would want to transport myself back to my 80's/90's self.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                            I had to go through my parts shelf earlier and I saw 2 out of my 3 JBJ's. It's been over a year and I've resisted the temptation, but last night really got me thinking about putting one of them in my HM Strat.

The stock humbucker still sounds okay to me, but I haven't had a JB in a guitar since ~1986. Have I just forgotten that magic tone of the JB in a Superstrat? What are your thoughts and why?

NGD - LE HM Strat
                            Do it, DO IT! Jaay Bay, Jaaay Bay, Jaay Bay FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

You've discovered the secret to eternal happiness.
                              Thought that's when you've bought the 42nd guitar?
                              (As in https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(answer))

Comment

Working...
                              X