Blackouts preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackouts preamp

Is it possible to somehow connect a toggle switch to the preamp for true bypass and to engage the booster? I notice alot of other pickup booster products have this feature either accomplished with a toggle or push/pull pot. It would be an awesome feature to have with the preamp. Does anybody know how to accomplish this?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

the AHB-2 has a toggle switch. the others not as far as i know.
    the AHB-10 coil pack can be used passive, but i don‘t know how they sound...

Comment

While not much is impossible, it would probably be highly impractical. I'm basing this off of my own BO's preamp. I have the 4-pot, long-shaft version, but I assume the electronics are all similar.

The first problem you run into, is that all the pots are 25k. Not to mention, that the bridge volume is incorporated into the preamp circuitry. It would be almost impossible to isolate it. The 2nd problem is, I'm almost positive that the BO preamp uses balanced differential inputs. In other words, the red and white wires aren't shorted together. I just put a meter on the red/white wire inputs of the preamp connector, and they are, in fact, isolated.

So, the only way I could see for this to work, (and even it's awkward), would be to use a 4-pot, LP style guitar. Two pots would be the master vol/tone BO's circuit, and the other two wouldd be 500k passive vol/tone. Then you'd need a 6PDT switch to switch the black, red, and white wires of both pickups. Grounds could stay common.

Do-able, but not very practical. IMHO.

Edit: Examining it closer, the attached pot is easily isolated. But that doesn't change much else.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-08-2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
        the AHB-2 has a toggle switch. the others not as far as i know.
        the AHB-10 coil pack can be used passive, but i don‘t know how they sound...
        the blackout singles have two output options like the ahb2

Comment

Is it possible to use the triple shot mounting rings with the blackouts preamp?
          But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I think we may be talking about two different things here. There's the preamp that's integral to the Blackouts pickups. And then there's the stand alone BMP preamp. Which are you referring to?

In either case, the Triple Shot rings won't help.

Comment

I was talking about the blackouts modular preamp, it won't work if you solder your pickup wires to the triple shots then connect the wires from the triple shot to the Connection terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                I was talking about the blackouts modular preamp, it won't work if you solder your pickup wires to the triple shots then connect the wires from the triple shot to the Connection terminal?
                Unfortunately, no. The BMP requires all 5 wires, (4 coil wires and ground), to be independent for proper operation. The triple shots convert the five wires down to two: hot and ground.

Comment

Could I get a simple Blackout pre-amp "on" switch for a +20db boost?

Don't want a volume knob.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Could I get a simple Blackout pre-amp "on" switch for a +20db boost?

Don't want a volume knob.
                    I doubt that they'd do a custom build of an established product, and the volume pot, and Liberator system, are integral to the module. I suppose you could install the whole thing inside the control cavity with the knob on "10", but it would be awkward at best. I suppose the pot could be unsoldered from the board, but it's all surface mount "micro" components. I wouldn't even try it myself without access to the $4000 desoldering station that we had in the "lab."

P.S. It's a darn shame they quit producing the little stand alone SFX-01 Pickup Booster module. It's even smaller than the BMP. I'm glad I snagged one while they were still available. I wonder if we could petition them to do them again?

P.S.2. There is a company that makes various "in-guitar" modules, but I can't remember their name. Aztec, Arkin? Something like that.
                    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-10-2021, 08:38 AM.

Comment

emg pa2 is a 20db boost on a switch

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        emg pa2 is a 20db boost on a switch
                        EMG has a nice selection of modules. I wish they weren't quite so pricey. $50 would be a more comfortable price point. $35, even better.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

P.S. It's a darn shame they quit producing the little stand alone SFX-01 Pickup Booster module. It's even smaller than the BMP. I'm glad I snagged one while they were still available. I wonder if we could petition them to do them again?

Don't let me get too far Off Topic.

Did they quit producing the module when they updated the pedal?
                          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

Don't let me get too far Off Topic.

Did they quit producing the module when they updated the pedal?
                            It was a little earlier. I think they just made X number and that was it. They were made for, and sold through, GuitarElectronics exclusively. Maybe GE commisioned a certain number. I'm just guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

It was a little earlier. I think they just made X number and that was it. They were made for, and sold through, GuitarElectronics exclusively. Maybe GE commisioned a certain number. I'm just guessing.
                              I was thinking something about the updated circuit may have made the module impractical. My other thought would be the module is in 1 guitar but the pedal can be used with multiple guitars, so the modules just didn't sell as well. But I'm also just guessing. I've probably gone far enough OT so I'll stop now.
                              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                              X