Talk me in or out of the Fender twisted Tele neck PU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I didn't think Twisted Tele pickups were that expensive. But cool that there are other options.
    Well, you thought wrong ! They go for $189 on reverb/ebay, and with tax thats about $210. Go have a look. The bootstrap TT clone set is $49+$3 shipping for a grand total of $52 or 1/4 the price of the fender set ! I'd say thats substantial. I haven't tried the bridge model because it's not a spec i care for, but it's the same spec as the TT bridge, 10.5k/A5/43AWG. And like i said, the quality is right there with fender.

Comment

Wow, that is expensive! Is it because they aren't available aftermarket? Or because they are a product from Fender?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Wow, that is expensive! Is it because they aren't available aftermarket? Or because they are a product from Fender?
        No, i think they may be considered "custom shop" and that may be why. Just a guess. But they are absolutely available aftermarket. There are lots of sets available new online. But the pure vintage 64 set which is same quality USA tele set that's really popular is $109. So fender pickup prices vary quite a bit.

Comment

I like the Twisted Tele a lot. Definitely a tad more output and a lot more sparkle than a tradtitional Tele neck.
          A bit more of the deep bass too, I think.

There's enough cut to retain pretty good definition with gain, and enough attack to match better with the bite of a Tele bridge.
          I've always said they're more Stratty than stock, but I agree they aren't truly Stratlike - just a nice step in that direction.

Had no idea the TT had got so expensive. I bought mine used - with pickguard - for $40. But that was more than five years ago.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            I like the Twisted Tele a lot. Definitely a tad more output and a lot more sparkle than a tradtitional Tele neck.

There's enough cut to retain pretty good definition with gain, and enough attack to match better with the bite of a Tele bridge.
            I've always said they're more Stratty than stock, but I agree they aren't truly Stratlike - just a nice step in that direction.

Had no idea the TT had got so expensive. I bought mine used - with pickguard - for $40. But that was more than five years ago.
            Even back then thats a deal. You lucked out. Yeah, its a great pickup for playing rhythm/riffing kinda stuff with edgy gain. It doesn't muddy up like most of them so you can use more gain before things get muddy. Absolutely fantastic for those edge of breakup tones ala SRV and such. I wouldn't say it's strat like either, tho it does share the strat neck's ability to do what i just described. I'm tempted to try the bootstrap TT bridge clone too, tho it's hotter then i like but i have one tele that i think may just work well with that kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gimmieinfo View Post

Well, you thought wrong ! They go for $189 on reverb/ebay, and with tax thats about $210. Go have a look. The bootstrap TT clone set is $49+$3 shipping for a grand total of $52 or 1/4 the price of the fender set ! I'd say thats substantial. I haven't tried the bridge model because it's not a spec i care for, but it's the same spec as the TT bridge, 10.5k/A5/43AWG. And like i said, the quality is right there with fender.
              While that's at the high end, it's not completely out of reach. But you don't need a set anyway. Just the neck. When you're trying to solve a specific problem, e.g. have a Strat neck sound in a covered Tele pickup, there's a premium. But if that's out of reach for someone, there are a number of alternate options to solve that same problem; Duncan has options, Fralin has options. Don't know if I would personally trust some cheapy company, but if $50 is worth the gamble, go for it. I've just learned over time, it's better to just pay the money up front and get 'the' right tool for the job one time, rather than spend 2x the money repeatedly pursuing cheaper options that don't really cut it.

Comment

While that's at the high end, it's not completely out of reach. But you don't need a set anyway. Just the neck. When you're trying to solve a specific problem, e.g. have a Strat neck sound in a covered Tele pickup, there's a premium. But if that's out of reach for someone, there are a number of alternate options to solve that same problem; Duncan has options, Fralin has options. Don't know if I would personally trust some cheapy company, but if $50 is worth the gamble, go for it. I've just learned over time, it's better to just pay the money up front and get 'the' right tool for the job one time, rather than spend 2x the money repeatedly pursuing cheaper options that don't really cut it.
                Bootstraps aren't chap pickups. I've owned a zillion pickups and they're as quality as any i have seen. I've learned a few things over time too, and one of them is never judge anything based one cost. It literally pans out as well as a coin toss. But, you have to have and use logic and common sense. It's pretty easy to figure out what is legit and what isn't. I came to the conclusion they're legit and my first buy from them was a total win. The quality is as good as any and the tone takes a back seat to no other neck i have owned. It;s only subjective whether u like one or the other. I actually like it more then my go to neck pickups for years, the twang king. But hey, i did pay $30 so i guess i'm a big risk taker.

By the way, to the member who wondered about the twisted tele neck wire, it's (as is the bootstrap) 42 which is the reason for a bit taller bobbin

Comment

Originally posted by gimmieinfo View Post

I definitely did not pay that for mine. I want to say it was only $60-$70, though that was 6-8 years ago.

Edit: I see you were talking about a brand new SET, which is the price you listed. I bought just the neck, and it was used.
                  Last edited by BluesIsBlood12; 04-12-2021, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                    well i in general i like tele necks. i only wish they would have higher output to match better with a hotter bridge tele PU. don‘t need more bass, but it‘s not a total dealbreaker 'cause that ones is easy to fix...

i have some stock fender ones which are quite bright.
                    maybe sometimes too glassy (->tone pot).
                    the darkest is the SD Str-1. it‘s ok to have one darker in one guitar, but the others get more play time. only wish they would be louder.

so what to expect from the twisted?
                    more mids?
                    higher output?

i mostly use it for distorted rhythm, think tom morello...

It sounds killer for Tom sounds. Nails "killing in the name" without even sweating. At least, it did on my buddy's Tele that I borrowed with these pickups. No way to say for sure what it'll sound like in your guitar compared to what you have now.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

It sounds killer for Tom sounds. Nails "killing in the name" without even sweating. At least, it did on my buddy's Tele that I borrowed with these pickups. No way to say for sure what it'll sound like in your guitar compared to what you have now.
                      well i can get that sound just fine with the stock tele necks and i like it.
                      not too fond of the stock bridge, though.

now i have found some great Bridge PUs, more than i can fit (Amount PU > Amount guitars).
                      But they are all hotter than most stock PUs and now even hotter compared to a stock tele neck than before.
                      So i want at least one Tele where the match between neck and Bridge is better. Thanks to all your input, it seems confirmed that the TT neck is indeed hotter than stock. this is a good start and i definitely gonna hunt one down, now. Tonewise i am a lot more open in the neck spot. in the bridge spot i am very picky.
                      To be honest i was hoping you guys would talk me out of it or suggest an actual strat neck.
                      i think i could live with the look under a chrome cover like that:

but i guess i have room for one more:
                      1) SD STR-1
                      2) Twangking
                      3) stock
                      4) twisted
                      5) strat neck

@gimmieinfo well they're US-based, so you can add 20€ shipping and another 15€ fees for importing. so that might be 80€ in the end.
                      are they even wound with heavy formvar? they are specified 0,5 k Ohms less than the TT. maybe those 2 points don't make a big difference, but i know myself a lil bit and if don't like something about that rip-off, i will start wondering if the TT wouldn't be better.
                      Also if i get the TT neck used for 50-75 € i can easily sell it for 50 € or more, if i don't like it.
                      this will only cost me 5 to 25 bucks in the end if i sell it. if like it, i have no problem to have spend 100€.
                      i am pretty sure i will have a hard time selling those Bootstrap PU.
                      Selling big name pickups (duncan, fender, ... is always easy)

Comment

agreed! since i have to remove the actual neck on my teles to remove the pickguard and change the pickup (22 frets), i am not willing to do this too often just to save money (bridges are even worse!!!).

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

that sounds really good, thanks!

Comment

I got a twisted tele neck pickup in my modified 60's telecaster along with a custom shop hot wound vintage bridge pickup and I agree the TT neck goes better with the tele bridge.
                            It's funny how some stories became historic,
                            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Don't know if I would personally trust some cheapy company, but if $50 is worth the gamble, go for it. I've just learned over time, it's better to just pay the money up front and get 'the' right tool for the job one time, rather than spend 2x the money repeatedly pursuing cheaper options that don't really cut it.
                              I bought a set of three single-coil Rose pickups (Robusta neck/middle and Buff Beauty bridge) 2-3 years ago for $80 because I could not afford a set of Antiquity Surfers at $270. USA pickups, custom build, handwound and very excellent. The Strat sound I had on my head. Would never upgrade those.

Comment

Working...
                              X