Blackouts Preamp tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackouts Preamp tone?

The Blackout's threads that have cropped up recently motivated me to dig mine out and look at it. I bought this for a project several years ago, then took that project a different direction. These appear to be based on the original AHB-1's. This product: https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...ackouts-preamp

There's no tone chart for the AHB-1's. What would the tonal profile be of this preamp? And how might it be affected by use with say, A2 Pro's, as opposed to something like Invaders or Distortions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	active-guitar-preamp.png
Views:	329
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	6071738

I think it just adds active tone controls to whatever pickup you have...so the pickup sets the basic tone, and this adds power, and active tone controls. How you set them depends on what you want out of the pickup.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks Dave. I should just install it and try it.

Comment

i dont think its really active tone controls per se, they still just roll off like a passive tone control. you get more power and low z out is my understanding

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          You get more power and low z out is my understanding
          I was thinking that Blackout's had a distinctive EQ profile. For example, how would Blackout HB'rs differ from plain Livewire Classic II's?

Comment

the preamp voicing is quite different between the livewire singles and blackout singles for example. ive never tried the stand alone preamp so cant comment there but i assume there is some tailoring of the eq?

Comment

I'll just have to try it. I'm just not sure what guitar and pups, to try it with.

Comment

well, pick one and grab some pups and lets see how it goes! im curious to hear what ya think

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  well, pick one and grab some pups and lets see how it goes! im curious to hear what ya think
                  I'll try to get her done this weekend.

Comment

I've always thought one of those would work well with a set of Jazzes.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                      I've always thought one of those would work well with a set of Jazzes.
                      That's a thought. I believe I have a set laying around here somewhere.

Comment

I just found a good Frank Falbo vid on these, with sound demo. But what's most interesting is he says they can be split, but doesn't say how. Since the BMP needs both wires of the coil to work, I'd assume you ground black & white, (for screw coil), or red & green, (for stud coil), for splitting.

Comment

Do those pots have a center detent? That might tell us if they are true active controls, or passive tone pots on an active pickup. I always thought the biggest benefit of adding a preamp would be active tone controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Do those pots have a center detent? That might tell us if they are true active controls, or passive tone pots on an active pickup. I always thought the biggest benefit of adding a preamp would be active tone controls.
                            And volume control isolation. The BMP has neither. Vol and tone are both after the preamp section. The preamp simply acts as a buffer so that the pots don't load down the coils. Resistors and caps in the feedback loop would determine the gain and EQ.

Here's a diagram I grabbed quik-'n-dirty off the net. It's not accurate to the actual BMP circuit, but illustrates how a differential input amp works. This is duplicated for two pickups.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Diff_amp.png Views:	0 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	6072028

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

And volume control isolation. The BMP has neither. Vol and tone are both after the preamp section. The preamp simply acts as a buffer so that the pots don't load down the coils. Resistors and caps in the feedback loop would determine the gain and EQ.

Here's a diagram I grabbed quik-'n-dirty off the net. It's not accurate to the actual BMP circuit, but illustrates how a differential input amp works. This is duplicated for two pickups.

Click image for larger version Name:	Diff_amp.png Views:	0 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	6072028
                              I honestly didn't realize that. I don't generally dig active guitars, so I don't investigate them enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X