Blackouts Preamp tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I honestly didn't realize that. I don't generally dig active guitars, so I don't investigate them enough.
    And that diagram is why it's confusing on how to split a pup using the BMP. I'd love if Frank F. dropped in a said how they do that. I suppose I could email tech support. Not sure if anyone's home yet.

I, also, wasn't too interested in active guitars 'til I installed my Strat Livewire II set. I love 'em. I'm starting to play with others now. My problem is not getting used to the plug being the "on/off" switch. I keep setting them down on the stand, and killing the battery in short order.

(Hmmm . . . maybe I could do a tilt switch?)

Comment

Tilt? Like an actual on/off?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Tilt? Like an actual on/off?
        Yup. So when you put it on the stand, it disconnects the 9-volt battery. I'd have a "supercap" in parallel so you'd have about 30 - 60 seconds before it went dead, in case you bumped it while playing. Probably not practical for live performance, but for a home studio . . . could be cool.

Comment

That makes sense. I can see why some don't want an on/off switch on their guitar, but it would be useful because I know I would forget to unplug it all the time. It happens with my Godin Multiac all the time.

Comment

It happens with my Godin Multiac all the time.
            For me, it's my Toby bass. It uses a full size circuit board, through-hole components, and an old DIP opamp. If I set it down and forget to unplug it . . . the battery's dead in the morning.

Comment

I can't wait until the 9v battery thing is over, and we move to quick charging lithium batteries. A guitar used one a few years ago, and even completely dead, a 1 minute quick charge allowed for 1 hour of use.

Comment

Check out the Mi-Si products. They're more focused on acoustic-electric, but they have several preamps that you charge for 60 seconds, and use for 8 hours. They use the "supercap" technology. Pretty cool products. Me and my luthier friend already did the AlignXT system on a Taylor. One tenth the Taylor internal real estate.

Comment

Wow, those look pretty awesome!

Comment

Wow, those look pretty awesome!
                    I'm wondering if they'd power active pups, which typically draw less than a milliamp. That would be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I'm wondering if they'd power active pups, which typically draw less than a milliamp. That would be sweet.
                      You'd think that would be the next thing in active pickups. It might require a new jack plate with a charging port. But it is a better idea than a 9v battery these days.

Comment

You know Fishman has a full compliment of recharge systems with low battery warnings and smart power that keeps providing a solid 9v even as the battery is losing charge, right?

Anyway to coil split into the BMP you can either jump white to black to short that coil, or jump red to green to short the other coil.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                          You know Fishman has a full compliment of recharge systems with low battery warnings and smart power that keeps providing a solid 9v even as the battery is losing charge, right?

Anyway to coil split into the BMP you can either jump white to black to short that coil, or jump red to green to short the other coil.
                          Thanks for stopping by Frank. I thought so, but I'm more comfortable with your confirmation. Could you answer one more question. Could a pair of Strat neck/middle pups be connected to one channel as if it was the two coils of a humbucker? As in an HSS axe?

Thanks again.

And . . . I'll check out the Fishman stuff. Thanks for the heads up.
                          Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-10-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I can't wait until the 9v battery thing is over, and we move to quick charging lithium batteries. A guitar used one a few years ago, and even completely dead, a 1 minute quick charge allowed for 1 hour of use.
                            Mincer,

Here's an alternative solution for your consideration, that I just posted about in another thread:

I am considering routing a Les Paul style guitar, to add a middle position singlecoil pickup. The guitar is a flat top, not an arch top. The guitar DOES already have a (poly) finish on it. [EDIT: This is the same guitar I am planning to install a vinyl skin on, discussed here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...5-guitar
                            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Mincer,

Here's an alternative solution for your consideration, that I just posted about in another thread:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...65#post6072565
                              I saw that! I am not looking to alter how my Godin works...I am just hoping for a better solution to active pickups (electric or acoustic) in the future. Some instruments are using rechargeable, and I think it is a good step. My older Line6 Variax Acoustic uses 6 AA batteries, or a clumsy AC adapter and junction box. The newer Variax electrics use lithium rechargeable, and it is much easier with a lot less waste.

Comment

Working...
                              X