Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Yup. I like wires too. Now I'm GAS'ing for an SPC.

I wish Duncan would make more stuff like this. I have the ABC control for my bass, but haven't installed it yet.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    everything sounds awesome when im not turning the pot. between the two switchable levels of output of the blackouts (at least for neck and bridge, middle is low output only since im using a p/p 25k pot) and the mid boost its everything i hoped.

the spc is old. the new ones have the quick connects which im sure i could make work, but ive had this one for years and its easier to work with wires

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    ill start with readings for sure. when i heard it, i thought aww crap something is leaking dc, even though i had no idea what that sounds like.

once i open it up i can check for dc on the pot, then put the cap in both places to see if it helps. dont need strings on it for any of that
    Just remember, (to make things easier), if the voltage drops to zero when you roll the volume down, then the cap should definitely go between vol pot and SPC. Or, you may even have a faulty SPC and maybe want to return it. If it's new. They shouldn't backfeed voltage.

P.S. When you aren't actually turning the pot, how does she sound?

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    ill start with readings for sure. when i heard it, i thought aww crap something is leaking dc, even though i had no idea what that sounds like.

once i open it up i can check for dc on the pot, then put the cap in both places to see if it helps. dont need strings on it for any of that

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    And, if this started with the SPC control, I might start with the cap between the vol wiper and SPC. But again, an actual voltage measurement, with volume up, then down, would be better.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    And don't forget, if you're going to try to measure the voltage, make sure you've got a cable plugged in.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    ok. ill pull the (brand new ) strings off this weekend and poke around and see what i find with a meter then put a cap in there and see what i get. i probably have a 10 uf cap so ill try that first

edit: yes, thats how its wired

thanks for your help with this!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    And just to be clear, is this the version you're using?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPC_wiring.png
Views:	28
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	6071860

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    That value shouldn't affect anything. But if does, try 10 uf. Or just use 10 uf to start with. Step one would be to see if you can actually measure the DC. That will steer us better to the cap value.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    ok, cool. thank you! should i expect it to sound different or is that value is big enough it shouldnt effect anything. i totally have a tone boner to have the blackouts with a mid boost so hope i can get this workin.

everything was fine with the blackouts till i put the spc in

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I'd put it between the 5-way and volume input. That will rule out, or confirm, the BO's putting out DC. If that doesn't work, then between the volume output and the SPC. The SPC might be back-feeding DC into the pot.

Edit: Here's one more thing to try. I assume you have a meter. Can you check to see if you have any DC voltage across the outside lugs of the volume pot. With the meter attached, roll the volume back and forth. If the voltage stays constant, it's probably coming from the pups. If it drops to zero, it's probably back feeding from the SPC. That will let you know where to put the cap.

The voltage should be tiny. Maybe just a few millivolts.

Edit 2: Also, move the 5-way through it's positions. The voltage may only be coming from one pup.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-08-2021, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    with passives, i know what im doing so seldom ask other than to get other peoples perspectives for curiosity's sake. ive been n here since the late 90s and have been an admin since rodney handed me the keys forever ago so learned a lot over the years. actives... i can wire them but when something goes weird, i need people like artie to save me

its wired pups to 5 way to volume to spc. like this:

https://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/171889.pdf

im sure i have a 1uf cap downstairs some where. put it between the spc and the volume pot or ?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I'm usually the one posting the questions!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Jeremy: What order do you have everything connected? BO's > 5-way > SPC > Vol? Or something else?

Leave a comment:

• sparkplug
    replied
    Is this the old guys' club? am I allowed in? I am a zoomer but I'll behave.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X