banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you suppose a Stag Mag could be done Shop Floor Custom like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you suppose a Stag Mag could be done Shop Floor Custom like this?

Even radius poles, or even flat poles. I tried to "shop" it. I figure the builder is sitting there with a box of the pole pieces. Doesn't seem like it should be any trouble to put the "A" pole in the "B" hole. (And make both "E's" the same too.) I realize they're magnets. Not poles. But still shouldn't make a difference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Stag_Mag.png Views:	0 Size:	125.7 KB ID:	6071916
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-08-2021, 05:00 PM.

Interesting idea. Aren't the poles in the bobbin, rather than supporting the wind like a Fender? I would think you could just slide them up or down to adjust them without consequence.

Comment

I'm not positive, but I think they're actually different lengths and sit on the baseplate flat. I know they sell magnets this way. Just assumed these were. I can't remember if I peeled back the tape and looked back when I had one.

Comment

We debated something similar in another topic. There used to be a flat pole version named "The Mag" which is no longer a production model. Yet The Stag Mag is still produced. Could The Mag be a SFC?

The official SFC statement is this:

7. Magnet Stagger. Flat/Staggered and Lefty Staggered options on Strat and Tele models where applicable.

But it would be worth asking if The Stag Mag qualifies.

I'll see if I can track down the other topic in case any conclusion was reached there.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
          I'll see if I can track down the other topic in case any conclusion was reached there.
          Cool. Thanks JP.

Comment

This is that grey area that brings you to the solution: just ask. I mean, they could really go either way with this, but if the answer is 'no', I'd like to know why.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Cool. Thanks JP.
              Took me forever while searching to find it.

...because it was on page 4 of this topic about the Distortion:

Just wondering if anyone swapped the magnet in the distortion neck and tried it in the bridge position. I’m thinking about putting a rough cast alnico 5 in it and putting it in the bridge spot. What are your guys thoughts guys?

This is why I shouldn't go Off Topic!

Also no conclusion was reached.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I'm not positive, but I think they're actually different lengths and sit on the baseplate flat. I know they sell magnets this way. Just assumed these were. I can't remember if I peeled back the tape and looked back when I had one.
                Wedged in the Topic I posted in #7 is this:

Jack_TriPpEr notes in there that he owned a Stag Mag and the pole pieces were adjustable. So you can probably just buy a Stag Mag and flatten or radius the pole pieces as desired.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                  Jack_TriPpEr notes in there that he owned a Stag Mag and the pole pieces were adjustable. So you can probably just buy a Stag Mag and flatten or radius the pole pieces as desired.
                  Thanks again JamesPaul. That was a lot of trouble to go to help answer my question. I appreciate it.

Comment

Thanks again JamesPaul. That was a lot of trouble to go to help answer my question. I appreciate it.
                    You're welcome!

A lot of trouble that I created for myself. That topic was likely in the results of all ~20 searches I did. I just saw the subject was about the Distortion and thought it wouldn't be in that topic.

Comment

I am positive. I did adjust the poles in my flatpoled The Mag to a modern stagger. I even changed the A5 rod magnets under the plain strings to A2s. Easy mod.
                      Last edited by hamerfan; 04-09-2021, 01:34 AM.
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                        I am positive. I did adjust the poles in my flatpoled The Mag to a modern stagger. I even changed the A5 rod magnets under the plain strings to A2s. Easy mod.
                        Thanks hamerfan. That's good to know.

Comment

I got a Stag Mag with flat poles from the Custom Floor a couple years ago.

Did I itch an idea with my other thread ArtieToo?
                          Last edited by Blille; 04-09-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                            Did I itch an idea with my other thread ArtieToo?
                            Yup. But I gotta stop having ideas, and get to work on some projects.

Comment

I inquired to the custom shop about having a JB made with an alnico 8 bar magnet and rod magnets instead of pole pieces?
                              The answer was they only have alnico 2 rod magnets and any pickup made with them has to work with only alnico 2 magnets. So they can make different pickups with the alnico 2 rod magnets but they advised me that it probably wouldn't sound good with the JB wind and alnico 2. I agreed. The cost was $180 if I wanted something with alnico 2 rod magnets.
                              It's funny how some stories became historic,
                              especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                              But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X