What Kind of Pot is This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Kind of Pot is This?

Well, my camara died, so I'll post pics tommorrow once I get some replacement batteries.

Basically, it's wired up according to the stock schematic, except that there is one difference;

- There is a ? 4700k ? resistor (Yellow, Purple, Green, Gold) wired in parallel with the cap (both going from lug to ground).
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
      Well, my camara died, so I'll post pics tommorrow once I get some replacement batteries.

Basically, it's wired up according to the stock schematic, except that there is one difference;

- There is a ? 4700k ? resistor (Yellow, Purple, Green, Gold) wired in parallel with the cap (both going from lug to ground).
      Yeah that'a a 4.7Meg (5%) resistor, not sure what they are doing with it there ... again I'd have to see how it's wired.can't imagine why they are trying to bypass the cap with a resistor, unless they are trying to load the system even more as the tone is turned down ... I'll wait for the picture, whats the pup layout (H/S/S, H/S/H), and what are the pups DCRs?
      The volume pot 500k? One tone or two?
      Let me see the image first before delving into that, you did say it's an HM series right?
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Is there a way to tell the resistance on the volume pot? Since it's in a Strat, so I've always assumed it was 250k.

It's a S/S/H, 1 volume, 2 tone. The top tone is wired to both singles, the bottom is wired to the HB. The HB is also has a factory split, so position 4 on the selector gives you middle and full bridge. It came stock with two unknown Fender single coils (don't know if helps any, but I'm guessing they're pretty hot as they ballance well with the HB) and a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

What's a DCR?
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Bones
          Man, I was dooped into coming into this thread!
          Yeah, I was hoping this was a KB thread
          Gibson Les Paul Classic (C5/PG)
          Heritage H-157 (500T/JP)
          Fender American Deluxe Strat (JB/STK-S4/STK-S4)
          Franken-Tokai (Custom8/Cool Rails/Hot Rails)
          G&L ASAT Special
          Mesa Trem-o-verb DR
          Traynor YCV50 Blue

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
            Is there a way to tell the resistance on the volume pot? Since it's in a Strat, so I've always assumed it was 250k.
            Yeah, disconnect the CW (hot) lug of the volume pot, and place a DMM set for resistnce across the CW and CCW lugs, and read the resistance, although many pots are marked with the resistance/impedance on their sides.Most strats with a HB probably have a 500k volume control, I think the HM series did have exactly that ...

It's a S/S/H, 1 volume, 2 tone. The top tone is wired to both singles, the bottom is wired to the HB. The HB is also has a factory split, so position 4 on the selector gives you middle and full bridge. It came stock with two unknown Fender single coils (don't know if helps any, but I'm guessing they're pretty hot as they ballance well with the HB) and a DiMarzio Super Distortion.
            Which tone is where? Is the stacked connected to the N+M or the B HB?

What's a DCR?
            DC (Dirrent Current) Resistance, it's what your meter will measure in resistance mode (ohm mode), you can measure the resistance of the pups by hooking one lead to one the pup's hot, and the other lead to the pup's ground ... but you have to disconnect one side of the pup from the rest of the circuit ... this can be done depending on switch settings 9a pup in it's off position), or by disconnecting either the hot, or ground side form the circuit, same reason that you disconnect the pot so you can measure it. If you don't it treats all connected things as one total resistance, and gives you a flase reading ... JSYKIYDA (just so you know if you didn't already).
            But we realy don't need to go there yet, just post that pic, or find a coorect schematic to post to the board.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
            X