59 vs sentient for punk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 vs sentient for punk

I'm about to try the Duncan distortion on my endless pursuit of tone just got the trembucker now I need to decide on a neck pickup for which I will be using the combo to play punk and ska/punk. I'm down to the 59 neck and the sentient. I will mainly be using the dual humbucker position. I will be trying this combo out on both a blackouts preamp setup and a regular passive setup. I was using the jazz neck and like the clarity but want something just a little less bright but still bright enough to make my ska verses sound cheery and must be able to cut through a hard mix. What do you guys think; sentient vs 59 neck for the above described application. I will be mainly using the passive setup the blackouts preamp setup is my side experiment.
    Last edited by Mikelamury; 04-10-2021, 06:58 AM.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Any opinions would help! Sentient vs 59 neck?
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I'd go with a 59. The Sentient is a little tight and 'modern metal' for punk. The 59 is closer to what the original punks were using in their guitars.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Too late I already ordered a sentient- didn't get any response so I went by the EQ and the sentient seemed closer voiced to my needs. I'm using it to flavor my bridge pickup and give me clarity and brightness to my clean ska verses then flip on the distortion for aggressive punk choruses. What do you mean by tighter? If you mean more compression I always thought that the 59 needed more compression. I read a review that said it would get along with any bridge pickup not just for metal. Why is it that it says it's a ''metal'' pickup. I got it cuz I thought it would be closer to the jazz neck than the 59. Any thoughts guys?
        Last edited by Mikelamury; 04-10-2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

My thoughts, since the Sentient is already on the way, if it doesn't work out and you're in the USA you can swap it under the 21 Day Exchange policy. If you're not in the USA, you can likely sell it or trade it for a '59 in the Trading Post here on the Forum.
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

The sentient is one of those doesn’t do one thing perfectly but does lots of things well pickups. It’s not boomy like the 59 and is not biting like the jazz. It’s a good all around pickup that’s good for clean tones and leads.

Comment

I had a 59 and went Sentient, because I wanted a less honky and bright neck pickup. It was a good call, hopefully you'll like it too!

Comment

Uh..why would u need a neck pickup for punk

Comment

I play ska/punk

Comment

Originally posted by hwiho2002 View Post
                    Uh..why would u need a neck pickup for punk
                    To break the rules. What kind of punk are you?

Comment

Too late? Hmm 59 in the neck not clean is probably my favorite.

Comment

To be fair, the Sentient and the 59 are not too far off of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

To break the rules. What kind of punk are you?
                          I'm punky mcpunkster of the house of punk

Comment

That's what I have heard mincer, I judged it by the EQ, They were both classic output (a must for me) and I want something just a little less bright than the jazz neck. I'm not a fan of scooped mids and I figured it would cut through a heavy mix too. This pickups EQ(Sentient) is almost the same as the screamin demon (a little less treble) which I liked the way the specs looked. So I think the Duncan distortion trembucker/sentient neck combo will do good for my ska/punk. I know it seems like it's a metal setup(which I do not play) but from what I've heard the set is versatile enought to fit my needs with a voicing that seems to look good on paper just need to try it out now. Waiting on the mail to bring it. Has anyone else used the sentient for other applications than metal?: What was the outcome? Please share!

Comment

The Sentient is actually a very versatile pickup for lots of things. It does metal well, but that certainly isn't all it can do. I think it should work fine. I look forward to your review.

Comment

Working...
                              X