Is the HB-103 neck based on the 59?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the HB-103 neck based on the 59?

Just installed the HB-103 set in my RG. I really like them. Just wondering if the neck is based on the 59? It sure sounds like a 59 to me.

The HB-103 is based on the Distortion.

This Topic has a link to some of the Duncan Designed equivalents:

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
      The HB-103 is based on the Distortion.

This Topic has a link to some of the Duncan Designed equivalents:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...85#post6040385
      Thanks for the link - I was hoping there was something like this out there.

Comment

bridge mybe, but the neck hb103 is nothing like the Sh-6n distortion neck.
        definitely more 59 than sh-6n

Comment

The HB-103 Neck is Alnico-equipped with a DCR around 7.5K, so definitely not based on the SH-6n

Comment

Definitely not what was was listed on the SD website, but it does look like '59 specs. Now I'm curious if the HB-101n also is Alnico 5 with 7.5k DCR?

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

The Duncan Website has never been a paragon of clear and easy to understand, or even sensible info sometimes.

Its a 59/Distortion SET

The Bridge is a distortion.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I know people use the Distortion/'59 combination, so that set does makes sense. I searched the Forum, looked at some Duncan Designed measured specs and better understand how the sets are coming together.
                Last edited by JamesPaul; 04-12-2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Again - no hate on Duncan for them. I mean, it is obviously a lower cost, and probably lower margin item by far. They make up for that in volume.

Comment

Agreed, no negatives here! I can see where my previous post might read a little different. I'll edit it accordingly.

Comment

I think it might be a Jazz. The set in my Jackson Kelly sounds great. Then neck seems cleaner than the multiple real 59n's I have, and the HB103B just sounds better (I don't know why) than the real DD I have in a Charvel Model 3A.

Comment

I put an Alnico 5 magnet in mine...also took a hair dryer to it to get rid of the excess wax.....sounds like a Jazz
                        “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Where doe you put the A5 - in the neck or bridge? To be sure we need a 102 set which is a JB/Jazz import.

So 102 vs 103. Neck only.

59/JB
                          59/Distortion
                          Jazz/JB
                          Jazz/Distortion

Are all legit combos. The Jazz Distortion would bright/tight in the neck which would work...
                          I prefer the bass/scoop of a 59 to pair with the Distortion low bass high mids

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            Where doe you put the A5 - in the neck or bridge? To be sure we need a 102 set which is a JB/Jazz import.

So 102 vs 103. Neck only.

59/JB
                            59/Distortion
                            Jazz/JB
                            Jazz/Distortion

Are all legit combos. The Jazz Distortion would bright/tight in the neck which would work...
                            I prefer the bass/scoop of a 59 to pair with the Distortion low bass high mids
                            Im not sire I understand the wuestion but I had an Hb103-A5 neck and an HB103-A2 ridge in an HH stratocaster and it Sounded great.
                            “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Working...
                            X