banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Tele neck pickup / STR-1 - Tone too dark....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Tele neck pickup / STR-1 - Tone too dark....

6 or 7 years ago I replaced the stock pickups in my Fender Mexican Telecaster (made in 2001 or 2002) with the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster set. The two pickups at that time had part numbers STR-1 (neck) and STL-1b (Bridge).

Always loved the bridge pickup.
    Always thought the neck pickup sounded a bit dark without much character.

If I turned up the treble on my amp REALLY high (Peavey Banndit 112 silver stripe from late 90's) - I got a reasonably decent neck sound - but then the middle and and bridge positions were WAY too bright.

******Although I had not liked the sound of the stock pickups I do not remember having this tonal misbalance between the neck and bridge pickups*****

I believe the cover on the neck pickup is chrome-plated brass.
    I have read on the internet that brass covers can suck out the tone and give a darker tone - and that nickel covers leave more of the top end in the tone.
    Is this true?

Has anyone else had similar experience with this pickup?
    If you have -

.....Did you fix the problem.....What did you do??
    OR
    Did you change the neck pickup........What was your choice??

Big thanks

Numerov

that‘s a pretty common issue.

1)
    first, disconnect the tone control when you are on the neck pickup only.

2)
    if that doesn‘t fix it, maybe the demud mod (series cap)

3)
    change the cover or remove the cover completely or go for a pu with a nickel silver cover
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 04-11-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

+1-2-3 to ToneFiddler's recommendations

Comment

If those ideas still leave it too dark, it might just be that you don't like Tele neck pickups- it is common. There are a few choices out there for brighter ones, and even more if you wanted either a Strat pickup or humbucker there.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          If those ideas still leave it too dark, it might just be that you don't like Tele neck pickups- it is common. There are a few choices out there for brighter ones, and even more if you wanted either a Strat pickup or humbucker there.
          On the Seymour Duncan website there is a YouTube video demonstrating this pickup. If mine sounded like that WITHOUT having to turn the treble up very high on my amp....I'd be very happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Numerov View Post

On the Seymour Duncan website there is a YouTube video demonstrating this pickup. If mine sounded like that WITHOUT having to turn the treble up very high on my amp....I'd be very happy!
            That is strange. Are we sure it is working properly?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That is strange. Are we sure it is working properly?
              Unless I take it to a guitar tech I won't know if it is working correctly or not.
              Because of covid19 restrictions in the UK today (April 12th 2021) is the first day I will be able to do that for months!

Based on posts I have read in other threads my complaint about the STR-1 Seymour duncan pickup idoes not seem to be rare. So it could be that this pickup is too dark sounding and its brass cover could be contributing to this problem to a fair extent.

Comment

what tonefiddler said, but

First change the cover to a pure nickel cover
                second use a 500k pot for the master volume with a 500k resistor on the switch for the bridge pickup (i use a 1meg pot with a 1meg resistor, but that me, i like it brite)
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Thank you for all your suggestions.

1. Has anyone one here replaced a brass cover for a tele neck pickup with a nickel cover?

2. If you have - which pickup was it (Brand and model number please)?
                  AND
                  What difference did it make to the sound of the pickup?

3. Did you prefer the sound with the new nickel cover or the original brass cover?

Big thanks !

Comment

i frequently pull the tone control off the neck pup if its too dark, its quick and easily reversible if you dont like it. i use the tone control on the bridge pup but seldom on the neck

Comment

Maybe its heretic, but a tele neck pup without a brass cover sounds more less like strat neck pickup (i know the bobbin is less wide, but higher, with 43 awg wire and so on).
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Numerov View Post
                        Thank you for all your suggestions.

1. Has anyone one here replaced a brass cover for a tele neck pickup with a nickel cover?

2. If you have - which pickup was it (Brand and model number please)?
                        AND
                        What difference did it make to the sound of the pickup?

3. Did you prefer the sound with the new nickel cover or the original brass cover?

Big thanks !
                        here you go:

but before you tinker with you're pickup try the wiring stuff first, and yes i forgot the 500k vol option.

to remove the cover you need a hair dryer or something to melt the wax in the cover

Comment

Working...
                        X