Strat Wiring: 3 way with an on/off for mid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Wiring: 3 way with an on/off for mid

will this give me a 3 way select for the bridge and neck(neck, bridge+neck, bridge) and an on off for the middle pickup so i can just add it in to the already selected pickups, along with a series/split(south coil)/parallel switch? 1 volume, and 1 tone. thanks

Re: Strat Wiring: 3 way with an on/off for mid

Yup . . . looks good!

Ooops . . . I don't think you have the Tele switch wired correct.

Its the pickup wires that should go to two terminals, not the "common".

Let me double check this.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-19-2004, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      Yup . . . looks good!

Ooops . . . I don't think you have the Tele switch wired correct.

Its the pickup wires that should go to two terminals, not the "common".

Let me double check this.
      thanks for the quick reply artie, let me know how to wire the tele switch if it is in fact wired wrong. your always a big help, thanks

Comment

Yup . . . thats what I thought.

Compare your drawing to this one. See the difference?

The hot wires of the neck and bridge p'ups go to the first two terminals on each end.

Comment

Change your diagram to look like this:

Comment

Change your diagram to look like this:

thanks artie

Comment

Hey HolyDirt; look at that drawing again. I made a little mistake the first time.
              Its corrected now. Sorry.

Comment

NEVERMIND, YOU CHANGED IT thanks artie, i get it now, i gotta go out and buy the parts now, i think this wiring scheme will be a keeper. thanks

Comment

well, if my 1st schematic was incorrect... i think i've found an error on the seymour duncan schematics(?) http://www.seymourduncan.com/website.../std_tele.html

Comment

I've seen after after market tele switches that have the commons switched, and some strats that one side angles the opposite from the other, you have to look at what you have when you actually do wire it ... also your tone control is wired backwards, put the wire running from the tone pot to the volume pot on the tone pots CCW lug. You also might want to go with the '50s mod on this [run the tone pot line to the wiper of the volume pot instead of the CW lug], and your tone pot is listed as P/P, not sure if that's push/push, or push/pull, if it's push/pull your middle will be on when it's pushed (normal position), and turn off when it's pulled, you might want to change that. FWIW, that is not a DP3T as it's shown there, a on/on/on, on/off/on, or on/on mini toggle like that shown is classified as a DPDT period. A DP3T be like the tele switch there,technically a 5way strat switch is a DP3T with shared contact positions, but it causes *way too much confusion* to list it like that ... often times it will be listed as 2 pole 5 position.
                    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                      . . . also your tone control is wired backwards, put the wire running from the tone pot to the volume pot on the tone pots CCW lug.
                      Good eye Kent.

Originally posted by Kent S.
                      I've seen after after market tele switches that have the commons switched, and some strats that one side angles the opposite from the other, you have to look at what you have when you actually do wire it ...
                      This is one of the things that I don't like about using diagrams, instead of schematics. With schematics, there's no ambiguity. For instance, both of these methods of wiring the switch are electrically identical:

Its just a question of whether you wire the p'up hots to "common", or the output to "common". I actually think that HolyDirt's first drawing may have been correct also, just depends on where the commons are - up or down.

Comment

Good eye Kent.
                        I had to look at that twice ... (half asleep )

This is one of the things that I don't like about using diagrams, instead of schematics. With schematics, there's no ambiguity.
                        However, some switches are a real pain to layout in symbolic form, I will not layout a rotary in symbolic, nor any of those PCB megaswitches, heck I've basically gotten to usin pictorial for a lot of stuff, or at least a hybrid of it ... e.g. the box with six dots indicating a DPDT switch. ...
                        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                        X