Jazz + Ceramic =

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz + Ceramic =

Was changing strings this weekend on my LTD and planned on putting a ceramic mag back in the CC to make the bridge a Custom again. While I had the strings off, though, hmmm whats a ceramic sound like in a Jazz neck, so had a spare one laying around and gave it a try.

The end results, to me were not pleasant, I like ceramic mags but the glassy tone of the Jazz and tone of a ceramic just dont play well together. Gonna play with height for a bit but either sticking the A5 or RCA2 back in it.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

I've noticed there aren't many SD pickups with lower DCR than the Custom using ceramic mags...

Although, kudos for your efforts! Experiments like this brought us the CC and Custom 5 - correct?
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Yes, I can imagine that would get shrill fast.
      “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Yes, the Jazz is a very bright pickup to begin with. I can see this working, though, if you have a very dark, muddy guitar.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not surprised, the combo of 5000ish turns of 42AWG and a ceramic magnet are a common feature of many of the lower cost stock pickups that generally bring people to looking to upgrade pickups in the first place.

An interesting mag in the Jazz is the A4. To me that makes it "jazzier" its less bright and the mids are warmer without being as round as an A2. Makes the response kinda flat. Might be worth a shot for something a bit different than the normal A2 or A5
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I bet it was a little harsh.

I've got a double-thick A2 that i'm considering shoving into a Jazz bridge that's a little overwound (8.65k).
            Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Fascinating observation: People say the Jazz is a way better T-Top sometimes. Yet the T-Top (with tone rolled off) was often mistaken for an A2P.

I wonder if a Jazz with tone on Zero would sound the same?

But - glad you did the experiment! Never heard of it. I wouldn't have tried it - but glad you did. Now I know not to do it!!!!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I figured I was already in there, what was i gonna lose except the minute to swap out the mag. Ill change it back to the A5 or RCA2 next string change. Worth a try, never know what could happen.
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I have a pickup in a guitar that’s around 8k with a ceramic magnet. It sounds good in that guitar. It’s a single bridge pickup. It’s bright like a single coil. Not harsh though.

I like the Jazz better with A2 magnets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did like the RCA2 I had in it probably better than the A5 but may give the A5 another chance and play with height adjustment a bit.
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I've never been a fan of ceramics in neck position. (Except the Fender MIM Strat neck.)
                      IMO even the Distortion neck sounds better with doublethick A8 instead.

Years ago somebody here on the board posted about using and loving ceramic in a 59B.
                      Called it a fire breathing monster.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55
                        Jazz + Ceramic = Suck

Suck + Suck = Suck

Ceramic + Anything = Suck
                        I don't know if I'd say that. Lots of people manage to make great music with ceramic magnets, even if I don't. I like how ceramic sounds in the single coil-sized humbuckers, though. This kind of experimentation should be encouraged all around.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

"I was making a cake, and while I was mixing the batter, I noticed I had some extra salt in my kitchen. I thought it would be interesting to replace all the sugar in the recipe with salt. I really like the flavor of salt, and I also really like cake, but for some reason replacing all of the sugar with salt just doesn't seem to improve cake."
                          ​​​​
                          Originally posted by jcthejester13
                          Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Think of it more as different sweeteners vs salt. Some sweeteners would work better in a cake, plain refine sugar is probably the best, where as using say monkfruit sweetener may work, just not as well. Its all about experimenting with sounds or flavors and seeing what and what doesnt work.

Sometimes you mix something together that no one thought would work and you end up with chicken and waffles, to use your food analogy
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I didn't mean to sound totally condescending, although I realize that I did, sorry for that.

I'm all for experimentation and you're right every once in a while you'll strike gold. I am a big fan of the Jazz, but I can't fathom making it even brighter than it already is, which is why I made my original comment.
                              Originally posted by jcthejester13
                              Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Working...
                              X