Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincer
    replied
    I like experimentation, too. If you have the time and the parts, it certainly can be valuable.

Leave a comment:

• Hsb
    replied
    Its all good, but I get where you are coming from. This was more of an experiment out of curiosity more than an attempt at improvement or change.

Leave a comment:

• oilpit
    replied
    I didn't mean to sound totally condescending, although I realize that I did, sorry for that.

I'm all for experimentation and you're right every once in a while you'll strike gold. I am a big fan of the Jazz, but I can't fathom making it even brighter than it already is, which is why I made my original comment.

Leave a comment:

• Hsb
    replied
    Think of it more as different sweeteners vs salt. Some sweeteners would work better in a cake, plain refine sugar is probably the best, where as using say monkfruit sweetener may work, just not as well. Its all about experimenting with sounds or flavors and seeing what and what doesnt work.

Sometimes you mix something together that no one thought would work and you end up with chicken and waffles, to use your food analogy

Leave a comment:

• oilpit
    replied
    "I was making a cake, and while I was mixing the batter, I noticed I had some extra salt in my kitchen. I thought it would be interesting to replace all the sugar in the recipe with salt. I really like the flavor of salt, and I also really like cake, but for some reason replacing all of the sugar with salt just doesn't seem to improve cake."
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Clint 55
    Jazz + Ceramic = Suck

Suck + Suck = Suck

Ceramic + Anything = Suck
    I don't know if I'd say that. Lots of people manage to make great music with ceramic magnets, even if I don't. I like how ceramic sounds in the single coil-sized humbuckers, though. This kind of experimentation should be encouraged all around.

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    I've never been a fan of ceramics in neck position. (Except the Fender MIM Strat neck.)
    IMO even the Distortion neck sounds better with doublethick A8 instead.

Years ago somebody here on the board posted about using and loving ceramic in a 59B.
    Called it a fire breathing monster.

Leave a comment:

• Hsb
    replied
    I did like the RCA2 I had in it probably better than the A5 but may give the A5 another chance and play with height adjustment a bit.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied
    I have a pickup in a guitar that’s around 8k with a ceramic magnet. It sounds good in that guitar. It’s a single bridge pickup. It’s bright like a single coil. Not harsh though.

I like the Jazz better with A2 magnets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Hsb
    replied
    I figured I was already in there, what was i gonna lose except the minute to swap out the mag. Ill change it back to the A5 or RCA2 next string change. Worth a try, never know what could happen.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Fascinating observation: People say the Jazz is a way better T-Top sometimes. Yet the T-Top (with tone rolled off) was often mistaken for an A2P.

I wonder if a Jazz with tone on Zero would sound the same?

But - glad you did the experiment! Never heard of it. I wouldn't have tried it - but glad you did. Now I know not to do it!!!!

Leave a comment:

• gsammo79
    replied
    I bet it was a little harsh.

I've got a double-thick A2 that i'm considering shoving into a Jazz bridge that's a little overwound (8.65k).

Leave a comment:

• Edgecrusher
    replied
    Not surprised, the combo of 5000ish turns of 42AWG and a ceramic magnet are a common feature of many of the lower cost stock pickups that generally bring people to looking to upgrade pickups in the first place.

An interesting mag in the Jazz is the A4. To me that makes it "jazzier" its less bright and the mids are warmer without being as round as an A2. Makes the response kinda flat. Might be worth a shot for something a bit different than the normal A2 or A5

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Yes, the Jazz is a very bright pickup to begin with. I can see this working, though, if you have a very dark, muddy guitar.

Leave a comment:

• dotsdad
    replied
    Yes, I can imagine that would get shrill fast.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X