Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibanez AZ242 pickups

hi there!

i have IBANEZ AZ242 with 2 hyperion humbuckers with dunamix10 switch and alter switch.
    i want to replace the pickups and connect them to the dyna-mix10 switch that installed as stock.

since the number 2 and 4 positions on the switch are for both inner and both outer coils, do i need to reverse the magnet on one of the pickups?
    i tried to find some information about it but there is nothing i could fine.

p.s
    the neck pickup and the bridge pickup are not wired the same to the dynamix switch, looks like the neck wired reversed to the bridge so its really confuses me.(photos added)

i really need help
    Attached Files

Originally posted by kkndman View Post
    since the number 2 and 4 positions on the switch are for both inner and both outer coils, do i need to reverse the magnet on one of the pickups?
    The simple answer is: probably.

The hard answer is . . . I'm apprehensive about giving wiring advice on a system like this, when I don't actually have it in hand. Hopefully, someone else here might have one and can be more helpful.

Comment

I've never used one. Is it like a super switch..or are those combos hardwired into the board?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I've never used one. Is it like a super switch..or are those combos hardwired into the board?
        the board on the pic is part of the 5 way switch.
        the pickups wires are connected to it, and the alter switch as well.
        as you can see in the photo, the neck and bridge are connected reversed to each other (it seems like this)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          This is the switching that it yields. I assume their "power tap" mode is a partial coilsplit.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

The simple answer is: probably.

The hard answer is . . . I'm apprehensive about giving wiring advice on a system like this, when I don't actually have it in hand. Hopefully, someone else here might have one and can be more helpful.
            how can i check if one of the pickups i have right now have reverse magnet?

Comment

kkndman,

Typically a Duncan's slug coil is wired so Black is Hot and White is Cold, and Duncan's screw coil is wired Red is Hot and Green is Cold.

You can see from your pic's that each coil of the Neck pickup has been wired in reverse order.

I also see that the Bridge pickups wires have been wired in normal order

You just need to match that order for both of your replacement pickups.

And ensure that you translate the pickup wiring color code btw Duncan and your replacements if your replacements are not Duncans. i.e. wiring color codes are different btw manufacturers.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

how can i check if one of the pickups i have right now have reverse magnet?
                With a compass as shown in this how-to Youtube video.

Comment

I would bet that the magnet in your Neck Hyperion is already flipped, based on how the Neck pickup's wires are connected in reverse to that Ibanez switch.

Let me know how your test of your pickups' magnets goes (both your current hyperions and the replacements). Depending on what the results are, the wiring of the replacements may need to be different than current. I can help advise on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

With a compass as shown in this how-to Youtube video.

Jack beat me to it. And most modern cell phones have a free app for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Jack beat me to it. And most modern cell phones have a free app for that.
                      Artie, wow, I hadn't even thought about checking for an app for that - thanks for the idea!

Comment

first of all , i really thank you all for helping me!
                        you have no idea how many hours i tried to find answers.

i checked the heyperions with my phone magnet app.
                        bridge: screws = S , studs = N
                        neck: studs = S , screws = N

this is the results with my phone magnet app

is that mean the neck magnet is flipped?
                        Last edited by kkndman; 04-13-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Artie, wow, I hadn't even thought about checking for an app for that - thanks for the idea!
                          A lot of the apps are jam packed with ads. Go to Google Play and do a search for "keuwlsoft." Their stuff is free and mostly ad free. I've got about a dozen of their apps. Wifi analyzer, function generator and so forth. They have a nice gauss meter and compass too.

Comment

is that mean the neck magnet is flipped?
                            Yup. (Which is a good thing.)

Comment

Kkndman,

if neither magnet in your replacement pups is flipped, you DO have an alternative choice to flipping the magnet in one of them. *if* you don't mind having one of your two pickups physically rotated 180 degrees from normal in its pickup mountibmng ring, than you can wire that pickup a little differently from normal, which i can explain how to do. Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X