No announcement yet.

Pickups for JP Majesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, doesn't the Majesty have the active boost built-in?

Are you using the boost when evaluating the pickup?

I have no idea about these boosters, but many active systems make just about everything sizzle.

Comment

You may find success by trying different drive/dirt pedals or settings. New guitar may need new signal chain to sing how you want. Like if you're using a distortion box, try a tubescreamer for example. Of course you can't put lipstick on a pig and if ceramic is your pig, then something alnico will put you closer to a baseline that you're looking for.

If I were modding a JP guitar and wanted Dimarzios for high gain, I'd be quite interested in the Super Distortion, PAF Pro, classic ones like that.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I'm not totally convinced this is even a good idea. However if I was going to go for passives, I would bypass all the on-board electronics. To get the right sound from passive pickups you actually need the instrument cable in the circuit with the pickup and volume control. When you add a buffer amplifier, it will change the loading on the pickup and it won't sound like its supposed to. Also it seems like you are trying to take a high-gain metal guitar and turn it into something more vintage like. Unless you really like mahogany guitars, I have doubts about how successful this is going to be.

Comment

Besides the mounting tabs, what is going on with the electronics? Is there a passive/active switch? Are those pickups specially designed to be used with the onboard preamp?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A good pickup might be a Gravity Storm bridge. Had one for a while a really liked it in a Carvin ST 300 but it was so different from the other set ups I had. I needed a different type tone in that guitar. so went with a Saturday Night Special set. Those are really big and sweet but have some serious attitude and IMO would make a great bridge pickup in a Majesty with maybe a Paf Pro or a PAF Joe. The Satur8 with a PAF JOE would also be really nice!
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
              I'm not totally convinced this is even a good idea. However if I was going to go for passives, I would bypass all the on-board electronics. To get the right sound from passive pickups you actually need the instrument cable in the circuit with the pickup and volume control. When you add a buffer amplifier, it will change the loading on the pickup and it won't sound like its supposed to. Also it seems like you are trying to take a high-gain metal guitar and turn it into something more vintage like. Unless you really like mahogany guitars, I have doubts about how successful this is going to be.
              Depends on the pre amp. i have 2 Carvins with their active set ups running a Saturday Night Special set in my AE 185 and a Hybrid Sentient in my DC 400 that sound fantastic. The Carvin set up is designed to run with normal passive pickups though. On the DC 400 if you pull the volume it bypasses the active module and runs just a conventional master volume master tone. I don't know how the Majesty is set up though.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                I'm not totally convinced this is even a good idea. Also it seems like you are trying to take a high-gain metal guitar and turn it into something more vintage like. Unless you really like mahogany guitars, I have doubts about how successful this is going to be.
                This was kind of my thought too, TBH, even though I still put some ideas out there. Not to shame or anything but if you knowingly bought a multi-thousand dollar John Petrucci signature guitar with complicated electronics, spend some time with it. Try different settings and effects. JP processes the heck out of his tone, so it stands to reason that his signature guitar will shine when you do the same. You owe it to yourself and to the guitar. Sell it if you don't like it. Modding it may damage the internals, kill the resale value, etc. Or if you do want to change things in there, pull the entire assembly and re-wire. Or have a pro do it.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

The best JB clone i ever heard was the Suhr Doug Aldridge. Those can be had with the triangular tab in the Fender spaced Models.
                  Highly recommended.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                    A good pickup might be a Gravity Storm bridge. Had one for a while a really liked it in a Carvin ST 300 but it was so different from the other set ups I had. I needed a different type tone in that guitar. so went with a Saturday Night Special set. Those are really big and sweet but have some serious attitude and IMO would make a great bridge pickup in a Majesty with maybe a Paf Pro or a PAF Joe. The Satur8 with a PAF JOE would also be really nice!
                    I still haven't installed my Satchur8 so I'm curious, why do you think the PAF Joe is a better match for it than the PAF Pro?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X