Suggestions for HHH Hotrails wiring options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for HHH Hotrails wiring options

Building a partscaster with 3 Wilkinson hotrails. 5 way switch, 3 pots. Looking for suggestions regarding series, parallel, coil split, etc. I already have 2 HH guitars with coil splitting, so was thinking parallel for this one, but being that they are hotrails the coil split may sound different than other guitars so not ruling that out. Never really heard out of phase, so don't know if I want that, but again open to suggestions.

I play mostly with gain, and for this guitar clean is not a priority. So - suggestions? If doing parallel, should I do all three pickups? Just the bridge? Combine parallel/coil split in some way?

I will use whatever pots/switches needed, but don't want to use more than the 3 pot spaces available on my pickguard - it's chrome plated, so drilling more holes might be a problem. I am open to using a 5 way superswitch as well.

Found this page for all kinds of wiring options for HHH guitars: https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/th...95/hhh-guitars

For what it's worth, I have three Hot Rails in a Strat, but its completely conventional 5-way Strat wiring. (And sounds great.) I'll be interested in what you decide on. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      For what it's worth, I have three Hot Rails in a Strat, but its completely conventional 5-way Strat wiring. (And sounds great.) I'll be interested in what you decide on. Let us know how it works out.
      Thanks - might end up doing that depending on my patience level to finish this project. But I also like to tinker, so it's a balancing act.

Comment

That diagram you linked with the split middle positions looks interesting. I might have to try that.

Comment

I can think of two simple things
          1. master volume & tone pots and 3rd pot as a blender(no load pot).

Or

2. Neck or Bridge on switch via a push-pull pot.

I wouldn't bother with anything else since those are hotrails, a series 2&4 positions might introduce too much mud. If you were wanting a few different clean sounds then a clever super switch wiring might have been worthwhile otherwise.

Comment

Maybe something like a traditional 5 way, but the middle position is the outside 2 pickups.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
              I wouldn't bother with anything else since those are hotrails, a series 2&4 positions might introduce too much mud.
              I should clarify . . . my "Hot Rails" are the DD HR-101 versions. I really don't distinguish much between DD's and USA's. But, back on point, my #2 and #4 positions don't have mud at all. It's hard to describe, but they're definitely Strat-like, but with more "girth." Maybe I can do a clip a little later.

Comment

IMHO Parallel is worth doing with a HR but you may just use it with neck and middle.

Comment

2&4 positions by default put the pickups in parallel, I was talking about the other option, in series the neck & middle will be fatter but not very usable even for dirt, too much thick & woof, so much that switching to neck or middle would bring back definition. The middle &bridge might fair better but I'd rather just have the neck & bridge active as an additional 6th position.

If it were STKs then there might be some benefits of having the series options thrown in though.

Comment

So I think what I'd like to do is: Each pickup has it's own individual push/pull pot which allow series/parallel selection.5 way switch would just be wired like standard strat - B/BM/M/MN/N. 1 master volume, 2 tones. Anyone feel like making a wiring diagram?

Comment

That's actually pretty simple. Wire each pup direct to it's own push-pull, like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	series_parallel.png
Views:	658
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	6074409

Now just connect all the grounds, and connect the three "hot" wires to a standard Strat diagram as if they were the three pickup hot wires. Make sense?

Comment

That's actually pretty simple. Wire each pup direct to it's own push-pull, like this:

Name:	series_parallel.png
Views:	658
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	6074409

Now just connect all the grounds, and connect the three "hot" wires to a standard Strat diagram as if they were the three pickup hot wires. Make sense?
                        Yes, thank you. But how about how it all connects to the switch, tone, etc. 5 way switch, 1 master volume, 2 tone.

Comment

At that point, it just becomes a standard Strat diagram. Just connect the three "hots" where the three white wires are in this diagram. The ones that go to the 5-way.

Comment

Name:	3S_5W_1V_2T.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	6074417

Comment

At that point, it just becomes a standard Strat diagram. Just connect the three "hots" where the three white wires are in this diagram. The ones that go to the 5-way.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...S_5W_1V_2T.jpg
                              Yes, but where do the white, red, green ,and black wires from the DPDT graphic you posted go/come from? Sorry, I' am confusing myself now. Also doing tyhis between patients

Comment

Working...
                              X