No announcement yet.

Invaders vs Distortion vs Black Winter for rhythm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like how Ola is sitting in front of a 4x12 cabinet while the signal is going out to the Torpedo.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

You know, I think about them a lot.

Part of me says "I love Distortions. No need for a Distortion variation..."

But the more "proggy/modern" description of them makes me think again...
      If you've heard what rough cast does vs polished alnico, a Black Winter is a bit like a 'roughcast' Distortion, if you will. Same basic EQ profile, more complex in the details, and seems to sound slightly different depending on the host guitar. I find it closer to a Distortion when in a superstrat, but closer to a flat active pickup in a Les Paul type.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

The BW and Distortion are very similar in many ways. The BW really covers the same ground as the Distortion, but is a bit tighter overall and, like you said, the mids are a bit different. That said, anyone who likes the Distortion will probably appreciate the BW, as well, and it has great split tones as you mentioned.

Here's one of the original videos on the BW by Ola...there are a few passages with the Distortion followed by the BW.

I always thought the mids were pretty different between these 2. I dig the BW, but not really a fan of the Distortion. I am not the target audience for either, but what I do is more possible on the BW.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Went back to the Duncan pickup shootout done in 2015 by Keith Merrow and it's very interesting to see & hear how a pickup that sounds fantastic on its own can easily get lost when in a mix. Something like the Distortion, JB, Black Winter or Custom, even in the meanest & loudest metal band, will hardly ever run the risk of getting drowned by the other instruments. Not a Distortion fan myself and I let one SH-6 go, but I might reconsider picking up a used one and try an A8 in it.

Comment

logical and more accurate answer;

For me it would depend which guitar it was going into, in terms of tone and the guitar's intended purpose or priority usage.

emotional and more common answer for my small collection;

INVADER!!!

Comment

I've had multiple Invaders, several Distortions and 1 Black Winter. I GAS'ed for the BW for about a year before finally pulling the trigger - and pulled it back out and sold it within a month. It had too much 'ice-pick' in the tone for me and no matter what I tried I couldn't dial it out. If you want a seriously mean sound, go Invader. If you want the one of those three that's going to feel the most comfortable after playing EMGs forever, go Distortion.

And, once you have whichever you choose, pickup height will make a difference in whatever tone you're chasing. The Invader is like having a variety of pickups depending on the height. Up against the strings and it's brutally hot, down lower and it's more controlled and more Distortion-esque. Whichever way you go, you can always sell the first choice if it doesn't work for you - never heard of anyone getting stuck with a Seymour Duncan pickup.

Comment

Working...
              X