Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to make the Invader work for death metal in SG

Hi everyone!
    Recently I've got a '86 SG Special with SH6 in a bridge, and it had some unpleasant shrilling tone in the high mids despite having an original 300K volume pot which i couldn't fix with amp EQ.
    Besides it lacked low-end a bit, so I decided to fix both problems and swapped SH6 for Invader with 500K volume pot.
    These annoying high mids have gone immediately, overall tone became much fuller, but I've got a new issue - wooly booming lows unsuitable for my style of playing.
    Also now i have to turn up treble and tone knobs on my amp to max.
    I tune to C# Standard with 11-54 strings and play mainly oldschool death metal, not too much technical. Since I've fallen in love with this guitar's playability and feel I'm going to try every available option to make it suitable for my purposes, instead of going with active pups.
    What I've already tried and what didn't work enough:
    • Adjusting pickup height. Now It's 3mm from top of pole piece to low E. 4 mm is better in terms of low-end tightness, but overall tone becomes dull and thin.
    • Adjusting pole pieces. Tried to raise up pieces in one coil, in another coil, in both coils. Maybe I couldn't find good combination of poles and pickup heights, maybe ther low-end became a bit tighter but it didn't sound cool
    • Tried dimarzio hex pole pieces which I've pulled out of Super D. The tone has completely changed and became clearer, but all the charachter of Invader have gone completely too, it became flat, less raw and i guess i could get more cool tones out of dimarzio Super D itself then out of this hybrid ))
    Need your help guys! I love this guitar and guess i CAN love Invader cause it have made my SG much thicker and has a sort of unique rawness and ferocity i haven't heard out of other humbuckers

if you just want to shave off some of the low end, putting a resistor in series with the pup is a cheap easy thing to try. not sure the value youd want to start with, maybe .1 uf? hopefully others will chime in with more direction

Comment

https://www.avedissianpickups.com/pr...tter-humbucker i have these in my Flying V and find them extremely tight and chuggable for how huge they sound. Neck pickup is great for cleans and solos and when split, they sound almost like P-90s. I really like them.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Put the original pole peices back in the Invader and set them all the way down. Adjust pickup height without fretting last fret to low E 2.75 mm and high E 2.25 mm.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          if you just want to shave off some of the low end, putting a resistor in series with the pup is a cheap easy thing to try. not sure the value youd want to start with, maybe .1 uf? hopefully others will chime in with more direction
          A .1 uf cap will probably be too much. I'd start with .01 uf.

Comment

Won't 1000K volume pot help to clarify it a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

A .1 uf cap will probably be too much. I'd start with .01 uf.
              Jeremy suggested to use a resistor, and you are talking about capacitor. I'm total noob in electronics but i guess these things are different

Comment

Originally posted by kaza View Post

Jeremy suggested to use a resistor, and you are talking about capacitor. I'm total noob in electronics but i guess these things are different
                Jeremy did a "typo."

uf anything is a cap.

Comment

I have some .1uF resistors I'll make you a good deal on! They're at my beachfront house in Colorado, I'll pick them up next time I'm there.

Comment

yes, it was a typo. you want a cap, not resistor.

a 1M pot will give you more high end, not sure about clarity necessarily

Comment

This may be a silly question, I know you said you cranked the treble on your amp, but have you cut the bass at all?
                      Also, the Invader is one of the darkest pickups, maybe it’s just the wrong choice for what you want?

Comment

I'd try wiring the Invader in parallel, and boosting the signal after the guitar.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I'd try wiring the Invader in parallel, and boosting the signal after the guitar.
                          Invader in parallel is one of my favorite Duncan sounds. Clean, like a hot single, but with some harmonic complexity due to sensing two slightly different string nodes.

Comment

Put a Tubescreamer or some other mid-humped EQ before your amp.

Comment

Adding a cap in series was going to be my suggestion as well. It helped me get a very fat sounding Tone Zone to work in my Strat.

Here’s a page that goes into more detail: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t...ng-neck-pickup

Does anyone know what would happen if you replaced the ceramic spacer mags with regular spacers on an Invader? How close would it sound to a Distortion? Can you get some sounds in between the two pickups doing this? Or maybe just replacing one of the spacer mags on the side closest to the neck with a regular spacer might nudge it a little more in that direction?

Comment

Working...
                              X