Trying to make the Invader work for death metal in SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    Maybe you need a boost now? A boost isn't just for output, you can set the drive/dist low, bump the output if necessary, and adjust the tone to taste. Most OD pedals, TS, SD-1, etc... roll off some of the low lows and bump the mids which has the effect of tightening up the tones. That Laney looks like a nice amp and would probably work well with a boost. It's a tried and true recipe since the 80s, everyone is doing it, even the djent'rs with their mega high gain amps.
    With a mod I've made in post #28 there's actually no need for boost if it would roll off some lows, because the amount of low end is now at it's acceptable minimum. But maybe with non-modded Invader with a cap it can be usable, I'll try it later

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      I have some .1uF resistors I'll make you a good deal on! They're at my beachfront house in Colorado, I'll pick them up next time I'm there.
      Now that sounds like a schweet deal.

Comment

Hey, it's your time and energy, but you are going to a lot of trouble just to make the Invader work when a Black Winter or Nazgul would solve your problem IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by kaza View Post

With a mod I've made in post #28 there's actually no need for boost if it would roll off some lows, because the amount of low end is now at it's acceptable minimum. But maybe with non-modded Invader with a cap it can be usable, I'll try it later
          I was talking about after the mod, boosting is going to be different from changing the pickup.

Comment

When I hear SG I assume it full mahogany, in which case I'd say just get the Nazgul.
            With a maple neck the Invader should be a good match. It's just as Mincer always says,,,"all mids". It's not a boomy lows pickup, but the lower-mids are huge.

The reason I don't like it for full-hog guitars is that it's mag-strength combined with the high dcr make for a compressed attack that sits better in a guitar with a harder more percussive attack, and most full-hogs are the opposite IME.

For an aggressive death metal attack in full-hogs go with a strong ceramic mag and high-output combined with a more modest dcr and an eq with an upper-mids spike.

Comment

Originally posted by kaza View Post
              Could not resist trying this mod right now, since I have no spacers or any material with which I could make them fast, so I used pieces of plastic card

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_101575.jpg Views:	52 Size:	26.8 KB ID:	6074453

Tone changed a lot!
              In terms of clarity/tightness it really became similar to SH6, a huge improvement. Output decreased. I guess it lost maybe 40% of low end. High-end and mids haven't changed a lot to my ears and retained Invader's cool rawness. Overall feel is better to my taste then SH6.
              But IMO it still lacks high-end. And maybe i miss a little bit of monstrous slow palm muted chugga chugga which non-modded Invader had. I realize this is a a charge for acquired clarity, but maybe i'd like to have a bit more of Invader's power in these terms, at least for low-end-lacking SG.
              Anyway that's a cool mod i think, I'll play for a couple of days with this configuration until i receive 1000K volume pot and caps which i ordered. And then try

1) Modded Invader + 1000k pot
              2) Stock Invader + 1000k pot
              3) Stock Invader +1000k pot + cap
              4) Invader in parallel
              I’d still be interested to see what happened if you put just one of the spacer mags back in—I’d pick the one on the bridge side in the hopes that boosting the output on that side vs. the neck side would help keep it from getting too dark. You might get back a little of what you miss from the stock Invader.

Comment

Working...
              X