banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surfer !!'s in my Washburn Silverado with the PRS Archon is just magic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfer !!'s in my Washburn Silverado with the PRS Archon is just magic!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1994 Silverado 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	6074407 Expected nice cleans got it in spades. However whatt was a huge surprise was the fluid solo singing voice of this set up through the PRS Archon. Nothing here but the Silverado with the Surfer II set and Eric Johnson style wiring through my Archon head and the PRS 2/12 deep cab loaded with Vin 30's.set. There are absolutely no effects not even reverb.on the amp. Recorded off my Zoom Q3 and had a little distortion in the camera mics evidently the gain was a little high as here it was silky smooth and fluid.
    Really surprised me just how sweet and smooth this combo turned out to be for fluid melodic playing it's just pure magic!
    Sorry for the slop still having a fight with my hands post COVID and the flair it set off with AS.
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-16-2021, 08:20 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

the surfers are a fantastic set of pups, glad you dig em! i usually move the tone to the bridge pup too

Comment

I am not a single coil guy, but the Surfers are among my favorites.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Those sound great. The EJ wiring is a great setup. Are you running a single .1uf tone cap shared between both pots too? That's what's in his signature Strats.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          Those sound great. The EJ wiring is a great setup. Are you running a single .1uf tone cap shared between both pots too? That's what's in his signature Strats.
          Running tones for neck and bridge only and a 300 K volume. II'm not normally a big single coil guy for anything but cleans but REALLY like this set up! Surprised me how smooth and fat it was. Its the retrospect Surfer II set with the custom bridge and I really love um!!
          Here is the Silverado live through the PRS MT 15. Almost went with the Texas hot set in this one but glad I diddn't. This guitar with the Surfers and this set up is the single best sounding Strat I have ever played bar none!! Really is something special!

Last edited by Ascension; 04-17-2021, 09:15 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

What value tone cap? That’s what I was meaning with both pots, meaning the tone pots. EJ uses a .1uf with both tone pots, 250k for all of them (at least his first signature Strat does anyway). 300k is a nice option to open them up a little bit. I’ve done 500k volume with 250k tones and a .047uf cap with singles and it sounded pretty sweet.

Comment

Here is what we did and had a guy over on the Gear Page build the harness. Does great work is very fair on the $ as was about what I could have bought the parts and built it myself so--.
              300K Volume 250K tone,ran the bridge (.022uF cap) and neck (.047uF cap) tones only- no tone on middle pickup with a Oak Grigsby 5 way switch and loaded it all on a 57 style ground plate.
              Cleans through my Boogie F 30 are simply breathtaking and then you can hear the high gain solo voicing and sensitivity in the clips I sent. REALLY love this set up with that real swamp ash body and maple neck in the Silverado couldn't be happier with the tones.
              Last edited by Ascension; 04-17-2021, 09:44 AM.
              Guitars

Comment

That's beautiful man

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                  300K Volume 250K tone,ran the bridge (.022uF cap) and neck (.047uF cap) tones only- no tone on middle pickup
                  That makes a lot more sense. The EJ wiring kits that I googled all had .1 uf caps. I would think that that would suck the life out of the pups. I may have to try this scheme.

Comment

The .1uf cap doesn’t really darken it as much as you think. If anything it helps really bright single coils to not be so harsh and still sound pretty sweet with the tone pot wide open. It was a great setup with the Fender SCN’s I had. The values chosen are really good though. Sounds really good in those videos.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      The .1uf cap doesn't really darken it as much as you think.
                      Cool. One more thing in my guitar bucket list.

Comment

Ran the Silverado this morning in Church with the little Mesa F 30 short head for the 1st time and really loving this pickup and control set up the .more I work with it!

Last edited by Ascension; 04-18-2021, 04:41 PM.
                        Guitars

Comment

Working...
                        X